Chapter 6

The next morning Zelda woke up just as normal, that is until she spotted her pen lying not that far from her bed. She was brushing her long blond hair in the mirror inside her closet when the sunlight had reflected off her metallic pen and almost blinded her. She stopped brushing her hair and turned around to look at it where it lay, halfway under her dresser.

That's right. I never got to ask him my question yesterday...

She walked over to where her pen lay and picked it up. This was her chance to ask her question. She was just about to write it out on her arm but gasped when she saw not a speck of ink on it.

W-what? It can't be... Was it all just a cruel dream? If I really did have a soulmate and was talking to him before I fell asleep then wouldn't the writing still be on my arm as proof of it happening? Since it's not there... Would that also mean that yesterday was nothing but a dream?

Zelda abandoned her pen and hairbrush on her bed, rushing over to where her phone lay, still on its charger. The moment she unplugged it, its screen lit up showing the date. Showing that a day did indeed pass.

But, if yesterday wasn't a dream then... How could the missing writing be explained? Wouldn't it be there, still waiting for me in the morning? Maybe part of it was a dream... Like, what if I didn't actually meet Link or talk to my soulmate but everything else did happen? What if my mind kinda just, modified what happened yesterday or something?

All of this made zero sense to her and the only thing she got from it was a headache from trying to wrap her head around it. It was then that she had lost hope, until she realized, maybe if it was a dream, it was a dream that was trying to tell her that she should finally try to work up the courage and write them a message.

Zelda sighed, picking up her pen, bringing it to her arm and writing out a shaky message.

Um, hey...

After writing her message, she flopped down on her bed and picked up her phone, looking over at her clock which read 7:00 AM.

Woah, it's only SEVEN? What time did I even wake up? I most likely woke up too early somehow... There's still an hour left until school, I wonder what I should do until they reply...

She stood up, grabbing her jacket and book bag, then walked out of her room, into the hallway that smelled of eggs and bacon.

Mmmm, bacon! I know that smell anywhere, I can tell he probably just started making breakfast only a little while ago

She put her bag and jacket on the couch and walked over to the table, sliding into a chair. She watched her father intently as he moved between the counter and the stove with swift and precise movements as if he were meant to be a chef.

He turned around to put her plate on the table and call her to come eat but was startled to find Zelda already sitting at the table waiting for him.

"Well, I see you're up early," he said, chuckling.

"Yup, I'm just as shocked as you are," Zelda replied. "Could you pass me a fork?"

Her father nodded and turned around to the dishrack behind him, searching for a fork, turning back to her triumphantly when he found what he was looking. He handed her the fork and watched as she eyed her food hungrily.

"Thanks, dad," she said, piercing her eggs with the fork and bringing it to her mouth. "So, how has work been for you lately? Don't think I didn't see you passed out on the couch yesterday..."

Zelda's father rubbed his forehead. It had wrinkles in certain places, worry lines as he liked to call them. "Honestly, work has been tough lately. There's been this warning from scientists who were studying the resting place of the Calamity. They say that with the way things look, it might emerge somewhere in the next 12 to 18 years."