Chapter 2: New York

Chapter 2: New York

Moments later…

On the plane to New York

When he was a boy, Detective Reynolds had gone in and out of Juvie a lot. He’d been a foster kid, not much of a stickler for the rules, let’s say. Against all odds, he became a cop, enrolling in the Police academy, was stationed in New York, but he wasn’t sure he’d get used to the accents and the people, but two months into his career, he was thinking about quitting, but when all officers were called down to close the crime scene, he had been the first to arrived. It was sad really, and he felt kinda bad about the girl he had arrested, but after, he remembered the smiles, the cheers, the respect everyone seemed to have for him. That was the day he was promoted. There he was, four years later, and when he got the news of her trial, well he wasn’t sure why, but he offered to be her parole officer. When he boarded the jet, he began to seriously question his decision.

She took a seat in the back after running her hands along the leather seats that she passed by, holding out her arms. He sat across from her, sipping a hot mug of coffee that was waiting for him. “You want anything?”

She shifted her eyes from the window to him, alert. “I’m sorry, what?”

“To drink?” Reynolds clarified.

“Oh,” she said, fumbling with her hands, “Um, tea?”

“Tea?” He asked. She nodded. Sighing, he waved over the tender. “Can we have some tea over here?”

She nodded. “What kind?”

“Uh, do you have Green Tea?” Piper asked.

She nodded. “Coming right up.”

Her attention went back to the window as they took off, and her eyes shined with longing. Criminals weren’t suppose to long for anything but sex, drugs, and violence, but then again, she wasn’t your average criminal.

“So,” he said, trying to start a conversation. “What have you been up to?”

She raised her eyebrows at him, as if to ask ‘really?’.

“I’ve been in prison, Sherlock,” she replied, crossing her arms and leaning back in her seat. “I’d ask you what you’ve been doing for the past month, but I really don’t care.”

“Fair enough.” He paused, a question nagging him in the back of his mind. “Why’d you do it, Halloway?”

She gave him a cold stare, her eyes tired and full of hatred. “Go to hell.”

Reynolds took a sip of his coffee, glancing over at the tender who was bringing out her tea. “Worth a try.” Piper rolled her eyes, looking up at the woman setting down a steaming mug.

“Thank you,” she told her, and the woman nodded. Looking back to the detective, she hesitated before speaking. “You know, if you’re on my defense team, it would help if you actually believed me. Just saying.”