Chapter 8: Broken Promises

March 7th, 2013, 9:15 a.m.

The Courtroom

On the ride to the courthouse, Piper didn't mind the unbearable silence. She only wished that perhaps their car would just crash, and in a flash of white light, everything would be over. She didn't, however, receive her wish.

She was quiet throughout the entire half of the trial, not even listening. Before they started. Reynolds had spoke with the prosecutor, though she didn't even care anymore.

"The Prosecution calls the suspect, Piper Halloway to the stand."

Piper wasn't in the mood to answer stupid questions in front of a jury, but she did so anyways. She recited the oath, then took her seat in the chair in the box next to the judge. "Miss Halloway," the prosecution lawyer with the long nose said, "may you please tell us where you were before leaving the apartment?"

"I was visiting a friend," she said.

"And would you mind telling us the name of this friend?"

"Yes."

There were a few chuckles around the room, and the judge turned to her. "May I remind you, Miss Halloway, that you are under oath.”

"I know. I answered truthfully, didn't I?”

The judge sighed before turning towards the prosecutor and shrugging. Taking a step towards her, the prosecutor pointed his nose in her direction. "And what was the relationship with your father?"

"Excuse me?" she asked, never taking her eyes off of Reynolds, who she knew was a part of it somehow, and he stared right back, a triumphant glare, but Piper's was more hurt.

"What was the relationship with your father?" he repeated, and Piper shook her head.

"What kind of question is that?"

"Halloway," the judge warned

She sighed, turning her attention away from Reynolds. "A father-daughter relationship, I suppose. He was my father, took care of me himself after my mother passed away."

"I'm sorry to hear that," the prosecutor said with no remorse. "Did your father ever. . . . hit you?"

Piper's eyes moved back to Reynolds, her stony expression mimicking that of a statue. "I'm not sure what you mean."

"Did he ever hurt you?"

"You're not being very clear," Piper said.

"Just answer the question."

"It's rather hard to answer you're indirect question, I'm not sure what you're suggesting, I--

"Halloway!" That was the judge.

"Did he ever beat you up real bad."