CHAPTER 1: diamond in the ruff

Blues POV:

It's been ruff since dad died at home. My brother just seems to take after himself and doesn't really look after me as much anymore. Then again, he's always been like that. No one ever really cared for me except dad. I really miss him.
STRANGER: "hey rat! Get out of our trash!"
I dodged a broom as I grabbed the bag filled with everything I had collected and ran away. I was starving most of the time so I've gotten used to it. I sighed as I got far enough away. Sneaking into an alleyway so that I could eat in peace. I crawled into the old dumpster that was almost never used and began to look through my bag. I started off with an old chicken wing, with a lot of meat still on it. It was a little burnt but still edible. I began to clean it dry from the bone, of course, a leg would have been better, but I take what I can get. I savored it until only bone was left, then tossed it to the other side of the dumpster, where all my trash usually goes. And then I reached into the bag again, taking out a few packets of sauces that was wastefully thrown away. I ripped them open with my boney fingers and began to suck the packets dry. My stomach still rumbling after I was done. I reached in again to find a hamburger container. I crossed my fingers and opened up the small box. It was an entire half of a burger. I almost bounced excitedly out of my seat. I looked through the burger to make sure nothing was wrong with it, only having to remove a couple of bad pickles. A small loss, but a loss none the less. I ate those first, so they wouldn't ruin the taste of the burger, quickly swallowing them hole before starting to eat the burger. It was delicious.
(CROWD CHEERING IN THE DISTANCE)
Blue: "hm?"
I finished up the rest of my meal quickly, drinking the rest of the flavored melted ice from the thrown out cup. But the curious noises still continued. I lifted the lid of the trash head slowly, peering around the corner where a large group of people where gathered. The streets where covered in monsters and humans as they cheered and bunched together, trying to get a closer look at something. Against my better judgment, I followed the crowd along the sides of the buildings. Trying to see what all the fuss was about...

I made my way to the front of the crowd, where the people where gathering. Peering at two other skeletons in the center of attention. On wearing a Golden cape, the other covered in dark black ink, shrinking into the side of the tree and trying to keep himself out of the limelight. The one with the golden cape was handing out golden apples to passers by. But there where two kinds of apples on the trees. There where golden ones and black ones, although no one seemed to want the black ones. I watched them for a while until the golden caped skeleton announced that there where no more golden apples to be given today and to come back next week. Causing the people who where left to leave disappointedly. Finally as everyone began to clear out, I approached the two. Curious about the black skeleton who seemed to be moping in the corner.
Dream: "hey didn't you hear me? All the gol..."
But I ignored him and passed the golden caped skeleton without a second glance.
Dream: "huh?"
And stopped at the foot of the tree where the other one sat. Curling himself into an even tighter ball. Was he... afraid of me? Maybe he didn't like interacting with people. I guess it must be tough since the other seems to draw a crowd easily. But after a few minutes of awkward silence, I finally decided to speak up and say Hello.
Blue: "um... are you ok?"
The black skeleton just looked up at me, purple tears in his eyes and by the looks of it, shocked that I was even talking to him at all.
Blue: "oh my gosh! You're crying! Please don't be sad friend."
At this point the golden caped skeleton only stared at me as I tried to speak with the other. Both equally shocked and speechless at my actions.
Nightmare: "sniff. I'm... I'm fine."
Blue: "well I'm glad then! My names blue, what's your name?"
Nightmare: "um nightmare..."
Blue: "nice to meet you... but what's a nightmare? If you don't mind me asking I mean."
Nightmare: "..."
Dream: "... it's... it's a bad dream."
I looked over to the golden caped skeleton, who had taken a seat next to us, my head cocked to the side in confusion.
Blue: "hm?... what's a... dream?"
Both of them looked shocked up at me. Their eyes filled with an odd mix of both confusion and wonder.
Dream: "it's the pictures you have in your head when you fall asleep... don't you have those?"
I shook my head no, still not knowing what he was talking about, but it seemed interesting.
Dream: "it's like... watching a tv show where you're the main character. And nightmares are like... a horror movie or I guess game if you prefer, where you're also the main character."
Blue: "oh! I understand! I don't have a tv, but my brother does. He doesn't let me watch it tho. But I've seen him watch horror movies before, and I think they're pretty cool!"
Nightmares eyes lit up and sparkled at my words almost excitedly, and the other skeleton noticed too. Almost seeming to get an idea at that moment.
Dream: "well... I don't have any more dream apples to give today, but if you'd like to try one, my brother still has all his apples."
Almost on cue, nightmare reached up and picked one of the dark apples and handed it to me expectantly. I thanked him and took the apple in my hand. Besides the appearance, I wasn't really bothered by it. After all, I'm pretty sure I've eaten slimier things and liked it. Without hesitation I took a big bite out of the apple and chewed it. Savoring the flavor. Besides the texture, it tasted just like an ordinary apple. It was even sweet and juicier than I expected.
Blue: "mmm it's good."

Nightmare smiled brightly up at him from his seat. Happy that someone finally appreciated his dark apples.
Blue: "oh! I haven't asked you your name yet."
Dream: "oh. Right. My names dream. I'm nightmares twin brother."
Blue: "cool! What's a twin?"
Dream: "it just means we where born together. And we look like each other."
Blue: "that can happen!?"
Dream: "giggle. Yes. You don't know much do you?"
I shook my head. I never went to school and had to learn even talking on my own. My dad helped my when He was around, but he was mostly at work. And since he's been gone...
Blue: "no one really teaches me anything."
Dream nodded and helped me up.
Dream: "do you have anywhere to stay tonight?"
Blue: ".... I guess I could always go home... but... I don't really want to."
Dream: "I understand. Why don't you come home with us? We have plenty of room at home and I'll even introduce you to ink."
Blue: "ink? Who's that?"

I never went home again. After I met dream, he let me stay as much as I liked. And I became pretty good friends with nightmare too, although one day he just disappeared. I missed him but dream said he just needed some time alone to himself. I agreed but I was still kinda sad.
Ink: "dream! We have another attack downtown! Come on!"
Dream: "oh ok. Give me a sec."
Blue: "bye guys. Have fun."
Ink: "... hey blue? Do you want to come with us this time?"