Chapter 20

You still weren't able to wrap your head around the incident. You were certain that you looked in every nook and corner of your bag. For crying out loud, it was sitting there, right in the middle of everything, pleading for attention. Nathaniel seemed to think that you were merely being dramatic, but you could've sworn there was something suspicious about this whole scenario.

Yesterday, during a bath that was supposed to be relaxing, you had begun to completely analyse the series of events that had taken place. You had come to a very mindboggling conclusion and that was mainly the reason you were rushing to school today, to meet with Nathaniel and convince him that someone had done the reverse of stealing your phone.

You had managed to get to school before it got too crowded, it was pretty early and many teachers hadn't even arrived yet, but the teachers were the least of your concern. As soon as you had spotted the red-head, in the blink of an eye, you were beside him. Needless to say, the boy was more than shocked when you had appeared next to him.

"Nath, I know you think that I just didn't see my phone, but I am here to prove otherwise." Nathaniel rolled his eyes, this discussion had been going on for at least a week, every time you had come up with an explanation or tried to prove that you weren't suffering from short-term blindness, he kept poking holes on your ideas, but you were certain that he wouldn't be able to deny this one.

"Alright, so when my phone went missing, we had tried to call it, remember?" You only continued once you saw him nod, "Okay, and that didn't help because I had switched it off, and don't say I had forgotten because when we did try to call it, it didn't ring. So, how does my phone, which is switched off, switch on automatically once we get home."

You watched as he tried to think this one through and attempted to find loopholes, but he soon came to none, "I told you! Someone returned my phone!"

Nathaniel nodded, "But even if someone returned your phone, why is it such a big deal? Be happy you didn't lose it."

"It's not about someone returning my phone, it's about why someone would return my phone," You said, pacing and nibbling on your thumb, "How did they even know it was mine? And why go through the trouble of stealth instead of just handing it to me?"

Nathaniel shrugged, "Maybe it was one of the workers at the museum and they felt bad about the phone once they found it but didn't want to be seen giving it to you. Parisians aren't that bad, they actually care for people."

"Speaking as someone who didn't get splashed by a cab." You grumbled, recalling the unpleasant event that happened yesterday.

"Even if it was one of the museum employees, what was the point of switching it on? It couldn't have been because they didn't know who it belonged to, my phone has a password and my lock screen is a picture of coffee."

The red-head laughed, "Why coffee?" "Not the point!"

"Well, maybe the employee switched it on because he didn't know whose it was and when he couldn't find out, we went to the front desk and they other people told him it was yours." You raised a brow at his detailed explanation, "Don't you find it weird that you can just come up with these things?"

He shrugged, "At least, now the mystery is solved."

You scoffed, "You really think I'm going to accept that?" "That was totally credible."

"Yeah right. After school you're coming to my house to search for clues." Nathaniel groaned but didn't protest.

"Oh, look, if it isn't the criminal and her personal bodyguard." You sighed at Chloe's unclever insult. Ever since you had been akumatized, Chloe has been adamant on making your life a hell hole. She had been sending you threats, humiliating you in public, destroying your possessions and even resorted to physical violence.