Chapter 1- It's a world of bulies

The alarm went off. My eyes opened, seeing only the pasty white ceiling and walls of my room. I felt rays of sunny warmth leak from my curtains leaving a pleasant feeling inside. My body twisted to my bedside, as I stretched up to sit, pushing my bed head hair to my shoulder and my expressionless face to a smile.

Reaching for my brush I noticed something shimmer on the window pane, a white watery droplet, and as I got up I realised it was one of my favourite things. Snow. 

Ever since I was a girl, knee high in welly boots and a seasonal hat covering my piggy-tails of brown curly hair I’ve loved snow. The thin white icy blanket that coats everything in sight, where every girl and boy goes out to play with the cold powder, where school is called off and snow people gather on the streets. I love it.

Quickly I got up, shimmied my way out of the space between the bed and wall and out of my box room. Today was only a light showering and on some paths- where many people have walked through this snowy morn- the winter-y dust disappears and the hidden underneath shows.

Just like a person, hidden under make up and looking beautiful, but when wiped away completely different showing the truth, even if not so attractive from the outside but stunningly gorgeous from the inside.

*****

I walked through the battered gate into the school. Careful not to get in anyone’s way, careful not to be seen.

When I came to this school I was an equal, you couldn't tell me from the others. I was in some way accepted, by not being pushed away, by not being instantly hated, but at some point they decided I wasn't an equal... I was an enemy, an enemy to laugh at.

Embarrassed I hurried down the dark corridor, unseen faces stared and sniggered. My fringe hid my face, trying my best not to be recognised. The end of the corridor neared.

Suddenly out of nowhere a huge boy, with dark hair and menacing eyes, shoved me into someone locker. It hurt. I was often jostled about by complete strangers- probably bullies- and it was ok because it was only a push.

Laughs were released from the others near by, so I picked up my crappy rucksack and hastily walked away, completely humiliated.

My class was just around the corner. There was no-one waiting but as I stood there the bell sounded and a rush of students stampeded the corridor. Soon I found myself inside a classroom. Safe.

The teacher began to lecture us on something to do with the structure of DNA, and even I found it dead boring… if only we didn’t have to learn the boring stuff.

*****

It was last period. I entered the room and sat at my desk on the middle row, fishing the book with the torn cover out my bag.

Myth had been our topic this month. I didn’t believe any of it though. I didn’t think there were dragons, fairies or talking animals on this earth. The teacher rambled on about personal choice in believing and then something about the tales and stories in libraries which talked of these myths.

The bell rang and the class rushed out. I entered the hallway, if it had been empty I would’ve been happy, but no, it was busy. I walked down trying my best not be noticed again but I was unsuccessful.

Bang.

“You’re nothing special, Ebony” My back was against the wall. I gulped, the girl was a lot older than the others, with thick makeup and harsh hands. I stayed silent.

“You don’t fit in here…You look troubled maybe my fist can help you out” She flashed it in front of my face.

“Please don’t…” Her fist came closer to me but then...

“Claire, here!” a teacher yelled down at us. She lowered her arm but grabbed me by my jumper and pushed me to the floor…

“Tomorrow… ” My eyes followed her until she was gone. I was in pain again. The people gathered just stared or whispered before moving on. I sat there, my rucksack thrown across the passage, my books tipped up and the rest of my lunch scattered around. I got up, tears (that I forced not to let out) in my eyes, bruises were forming on my arms, and a deep fear was moving my heartbeat.

I’d never done anything, they were strangers… and yet, I was hated by them and hurt by them and I felt as alone as ever.

Soon I was home, I swiftly moved down my street and to my door. If I was seen on my way home I don’t know what would happen, I try not to think. The snow and icy from this mourning has nearly gone- still in some nooks and crannies- and the path was now only wet. I slipped out my keys and fished it into the rusty keyhole. I let out a sigh of relief… I was safe for another day.

When I got inside I was silent- if my mum was to see me she’d ask about my limp and new bruises which I couldn’t blame tripping up on. I counted the steps with my heartbeats… 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

“Ebony?” I saw my mother over the banister, she was standing there, a spoon and jar of jam in her hands. My mother is a fit lady, she enjoyed much exercise; she didn’t like chocolate or much unhealthy stuff but jam was a weak point.

“Yes Mum” I gained another step as she dipped in the spoon and licked it dry before plunging it back in. I wasn’t going to eat jam in this house again.

“Are you ok? You look a little stressed.” Thank god, she didn’t notice my limp. I crept up another step.

“Yes. I was just going for a rest.” I took another step... only 4 left.

“ok, and the limp?” Curse my luck. I couldn’t say I fell down again, or tripped up.

“PE. It was an accident, clumsy me!” I let out a fake smile and my mother nodded and turned away, walking back into the kitchen licking the spoon.

I finished the steps and wondered back into my room, when I got in I collapsed on the bed, my ankle sore and my bruises painful.

"What was I going to do? I wasn’t safe, and I couldn’t do anything about it. I couldn’t tell my mother, she’d get all fused and complain to the school. That or move, and after the move three years ago, I wouldn’t want to move again. They’d given up so much for me-when they adopted me I’d told myself never to be ungrateful and do anything to help them like they helped me.

But Claire was after me.

The last time I was in major trouble it was because of a boy. He was huge, had a bold head, plain brown-y green eyes and was three times my size. I don’t know what I’d done, just stay out of other people’s business and stay quiet and plain. He had cornered me in the one unisex changing room. The boy had pushed me into the wall and then started to kick me, I’d stayed quiet though, and then he had hit me hard on my face- by my chin. It hurt a lot. Then as he left, he turned on the shower and I got socked with water and my own blood. I ran out of school, straight home and up to stairs, to the loo… mum had been confused but I couldn’t risk any other option.

But Claire would be worse, for she was a girl, and after today I had a feeling my life was going to hell.