Chapter 9- conserquences can be bad or good.

When they talk about fairytales they talk of princes, housemaids, of magic spells and a clichéd romance. A fairytale will always end happy, a couple perfect without a single problem. And then it ends with a kiss, where children make faces and parents smile. As if.

Even if your life seemed so perfect there would be some hidden problem, waiting to unleash.

But Kye was my fairytale, no pun intended, and he was perfect. And he loved me. Me!

His lips were soft against mine, pushing hard but gentle as ever. My prince.

Then the beautiful second ended and his lips pulled away. The consequences could be bad, very bad, but I didn’t want it to stop. The kiss was so powerful, overwhelming me with love. But I felt his hands fall from my hips and stumble back.

I couldn’t look up, to see the emotion in his eyes. Why did I kiss him? Why didn’t I just listen? I’m so stupid sometimes.

“I love you” his voice was clear and I could feel the staring eyes of people around me. I looked up.

His eyes were truthful, clearly as shocked as my own. Then his hands took mine; his eyes stared right into my soul.

“Ebony, I love you”

Then there was a pause. An eerie silence that clocked the few moments that stood ahead.

“Um...” I couldn’t think of any words, I was speechless and racing with butterflies, “um… I… I love you too”

A smile tiptoed onto my face, cheeks flourished with a rosy façade, lips overly pink. My hand combed through me hair, waiting patiently for Kye’s response.

“Wow,” his cheeky grin was there again, “You’re a really good kisser”

“Thanks, it was my first.” I never kissed my foster parents like I would’ve my real ones but neither compared to the tongue explosion I had just experienced.

“Really? You’re the best I’ve had out of my three.”                    

Bad move. Who mentions there past relationships with their new one? The amount of kisses, of dates…

“So… what is this?” My voice was wavy; I don’t think I even wanted the answer. “Are we… dating?”

“We need to talk” Shit. That never ends well. “Privately. There are things I need to say, this I can’t say here… if you know what I mean.”

I nod as he pulls me arm into a wood at the edge of the park. It is mostly leafless, as the winter has just finished and spring arrives in a few weeks, but still very dark. The light shines in sleek beams, bright and glimmering against the forest floor.

“Why do we have to be here Kye?”

“So are we dating?” I repeat.

“This could be complicated, we’ve only just met! And I’m your guardian… I don’t know what the officials of Glea would do… say. I could get in trouble. And we have only just met…”

“Kye, you’re the one. I know it.”

“No, you can’t. You always think they are but you can never tell… I’m your first kiss.”

“But we have something. And I love you…”

“Ebony… You’re making this hard”

“Why? Why!” I’m yelling now. And it’s understandable.

“Ebony” His voice is still smooth, soft and calm. “I love you but, I can’t. It’s better for both of us.”

“No! It certainly is not! God, one minute we’re kissing and you’re telling me you love me and then you’re telling me that you can’t! ”