Chapter 5- Kye, my guardian

It was silent. There was nothing around me except darkness, I shifted about but not matter what all I saw was the dark. There was no one here with me. Maybe I’d been knocked out, or kidnapped! I scanned my brain to how I’d quite got here, but there was nothing.

I flinched as a sudden shock of pain grabbed me. It hurt. A few seconds later there was nothing, only the darkness. But then, another flair twisted my blood that sprang from my wings, shocking my body… but this time it didn’t go.

The agony was unbearable, a pain like no other. I was thrown here and there, like a rag doll, my body weak and feeble. It was uncontrollable, like death but worse. The pain was alive, tormenting my soul, playing with me. I wanted to die, to have an end, to feel nothing… that would be a luxury. The wings on my back quivered with soreness, they ached and hurt, it was intolerable. Tears trickled down my cheek, as my spirit was tortured, as my core was twisted until it was so fragile that I had no hope of returning to being Ebony Mary Jessup, who lived in the box room on 42nd Bailey Lane. That was the past now. My wings were tender, my body was tiered; it was feeble but still agonized by a hurt indescribable… I was giving up. There would be an end, but I fear that it wouldn’t, maybe it would carry on forever. The pain was cracking my soul, tearing me apart- bit by bit.

Suddenly there was a light. It shone brightly, white and angelic. The essence of it blew an icy breath, it froze me and my body (still shaking with pain) began to shiver and tremble. The wings on my back shuddered sending artic flares through my weary blood. I wondered for brief second if I’d freeze to death first or if the pain would take me before that, but then the pain returned and the cold. Then in the light I saw him…

A figure silhouetted in the glow. Pain still controlled me but my thoughts were calmed by the new arrival and the comfortable light. The shadow came closer, and closer, until the shape turned into someone.

A boy of my age, with dark skin, black hair and… wings. He kneeled down beside me. I sat there silently, not sure if this was a dream or not, watching him. He was beautiful, everything about him, his skin was flawlessly smooth, his body strong but relaxing and his eyes… they were immaculate. A creamy brown colour which just seemed so honest, so truthful.

“Um, are you ok?” His voice was gorgeous, it was calm and soft. A small smile jumped onto his face, it was natural but concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine” What the hell was I saying? This guy might be super hot and stunning, but he might help.

“Actually, no. I’m in a lot of pain.” I cringed, remembering the hurt which was inside of me.

“Yeah, I know. You’re Ebony right?” I nodded slowly, “It’s all going ok. I’m here. My names Kye, I’m gonna help”

“How, may I ask?”

Then a sudden spike of pain ran through my body, it was cold and agonizing, I fell into him. My knees hugged to my chest and my hands clenched together. His arm stretched around me and hugged me in.

“Like this? I’m so sorry. But it should end soon, it will stop.” How the hell did he know? And

who the hell was he? “So who are you?”

His body was cool, not inhumanly but peaceful; it was strong, manly and good-looking. I starred up at his face, the eyes staring back at me, the hidden smile and his helpful melting-sole existence.

“I’m Kye… I said.” My eyes waited for a different answer, “Well, it’s a long story.”

He began.

“I’m here to help, only here to help. Don’t be afraid, Ebony. I know it must be scary, but you’re safe. I’m your guardian.”

“My what?” His smile tiptoed back to his face, as if he was trying to impress me. He wasn’t.

“Guardian. Like a protector.”

“I don’t need a protector. I was doing fine.”

He smiled more as he lifted my arm up, showing my hand grasped to his. I pulled it away.

“It’s ok! You’re in a lot of pain! That’s why I’m here, not to make you feel useless, to help!”

“The pains stopped for a bit” I grinned, pushing my body back upright and wiping the sweaty liquid off of my forehead. “Where are we?”

“Um… it’s what we call a void. An empty space in the universe, a gap.”

As he spoke something hit me hard. A thought so shocking and surprising it nearly made me fall over. How could I not have asked?

“What the hell is happening to me? I mean the wings. You have them- are you a fairy or something?”

“Well, yes. And you are too… now. ”

“What are you on about?”

“You know you’re adopted right? What do you know about you’re real parents, Ebony?”

“Little really, short memories, photographs, basic information.”

“Well that’s because they’re… they weren’t exactly human. They were fairies.”

I shook my head, “No. No they weren’t. They were real. Real humans… or I’d be some fairy thing when I was born, no?”

“That’s the thing. You were meant to be. They were fairies, both of them but they broke the rules. A lot.”

“What, no! Stop it” I grabbed my ears, pushing tightly on them. He took my hands in his, clenching them softly.

“Well they did, not badly really but it was pretty bad. They transported to a far away land, at total random, and they came here. Then they had you and tried to stay hidden, to look like all humans but soon we found them and we had to take them away, we had to teach them a lesson. I’m so sorry.”

A tear tingled in my eye, slipping down me tender cheek and down my face. “No.” More tears came. Wet and silky they trickled down, one by one, each more painful than the one before. “You killed them.”

“We had to set an example. To show they’d done wrong. We had to”

“What are you trying to kill me now? Are you?”

“No”

“Then why not leave me with my new family. Why not muck up my life more, hey?”

“No, we had to. You’re one of us, and there’s more…”

“I don’t want to hear it. I want to go home. Now.”

“You can’t. You ran away. You broke their hearts”

I pushed the thought away.

“So where the hell do I go?”

“You know, Glea.”

“It’s real? But…”

“Yes. And you must trust me.”

“You said there was more.”

“Yes, but lets get you away from here. Before you go to Glea there will be a court, to check you, and until then you’ll stay with me. I live in a flat in London, and I’ve got money… unlimited”

My mouth dropped open. “What”

“I was given it when I was sent to be your guardian. And anyway we should get back, I’ll get you clothes and everything you’ll need. Just trust me.”

“ok.”

He gave me a hand and pulled me up. Wobbling on  my feet, I made my way back to where my rucksack had been, lifted it up and paced back. 7

“Take my hand and close your eyes.”

So I did, closing my eyes as much as I possibly could and holding his hand so tight it hurt me.

And then I was in a room, with light walls and plain furniture and on the chair… Kye, the boy sent to save me.