Chapter 6- the prophecy of my future

I felt empty; the colourless walls surrounded me, with pale furniture in natural shades and dim light slipping through the curtains. I tried to push on a smile, Kye had tried hard to help me, to explain and to protect me, but the room was so draining. Like a room of empty canvases, like a land of only white. I bit my lip and looked up to see Kye’s eyes looking back at me. He sat on one of the chairs at the back, inspecting my stare and trying to guess my thoughts.

Kye stood up,

“Don’t worry, this isn’t it” His voice was calm, and I suddenly felt better.

“Then where is?” He came over to me and took my hand that slipped into his so easily. I was pulled into a new room, a hall of light. But before I had time to take it in he dragged me over, passing the stairs as we went, to a door.

His soft hands moved over to my eyes, blocking all sight I had.

“I hope you like it,” I heard Kye whisper as a rustle of the handle and the sweep of the door sounded in my ears. As it opened I felt warmth on my skin, the air was homely and welcoming.

Kye moved away.

It was beautiful, the light shone brightly through the large windows at the back- illuminating the room. It was a mix of dark pink and white, with cute matching covers and curtains. I let out a relieved laugh but as I did I felt myself fall.

*****

Blurry images past through my view, slow and confusing. The sound was muffled, loud and puzzling. I blinked slowly and moved up…

“Ebony?” a worried voice rang through my mind, “Are you ok?”

I nodded taking the water Kye offered. My vision returned and my ears took in more sounds,

“Why me?” Kye looked confused “Why is this all happening to me. I don’t want it Kye”

“What? Don’t be silly, you don’t know anything about it. I’ll…”

“I know, explain. But I don’t think I want to hear. I should get home.”

“You can’t. Look your just exhausted and dehydrated, I promise. Please just listen. You passed out for a while so I went down to the shop under us and picked up this.” He showed me the top and jeans, “I think they’ll fit”

When I was changed Kye took me down through the lower shop, a small clothes boutique, and down into the street. Then he took me straight to the café across the road,

“It’s great here, no-ones ever there so we can talk and the waitresses are usually sleeping.”

“Kye, you need to explain to me. Everything.”

“Well, I said there was more, about you being a fairy and we having to take you away from here.”

“Yes…”

His eyes trailed over to a thin young waitress drunkenly stumbling over, she looked extremely hung-over with greasy matted hair and make up streaks. She opened her mouth, nearly falling as she did, to speak.

“Can I… um…” she straightened her body and added, “get you anything?”

Disgusted Kye mumbled, “Yeah, two blueberry ice chills. And then you need to swap shifts and get read of that hang over, ok?”

The girl slurred some words under her breath, swearing mostly, before sulking off to the counter. Kye’s eyes returned to the table then back to me and he continued,

“I hope you don’t mind, they’re my favourite so I think you’ll like it.”

My eyes were stern waiting for the answer to his earlier comment,

“Ok. So yeah, you’re pretty… what’s the word? Important. You see not only are you the only unborn a fairy with pure blood parents and born on a different planet but there is a tale, a myth. You might call it a prophecy or something, but its not set in stone so don’t stress.”

“What? So I’m like important?... Why?”

“Yeah, you’re pretty famous. Not many don’t know you, but its ok because only few believe the myth.”

The figure returned with two tall glasses filled with an illuminate blue icy liquid. Poked in the top was a clear straw, cheap looking, with a blueberry sticking out.

“Thanks” I said politely but Kye stayed silent until she was gone, then he pushed one of the cold drinks towards me.

“So the myth…”

My hands accepted the glass and pulled it closer; my lips found the straw and gently slipped. Watching the blue ice budge up the tube my mouth began to water, smelling only the fresh blueberry scent shifting through the air.

“Well, it came up a while ago, in the very beginning of the making of your civilisation even!” The humour did not make me laugh, just worry.

“Um... Yeah… anyway, so the tale doesn’t actually mention you, like your name, but the description works and when we discovered your parents choice in your birth it became clear the prophecy was about you.”

He sipped his drink as I, staying quiet, took another sip of my own delicious blue liquid waited.

“It says of a girl born as another, from the outside different but in blood like us. Her parents were like us but took her away, to live another life as another, but when discovered many punishments will accrue but until the girl returns life as we know it will change to bad.”

“So it may not be me, you never said anything had changed!”

“Well, you haven’t read the tale! It says the girl will change our world for the better and save us from our enemies but even I don’t believe all that. And I spouse it hasn’t changed much but there have been wars and un-agreements, just not too serious, yet.”

“I can’t. I’m not that miracle girl, I can’t change everything…”

“Don’t worry, no-one expects you of that. We just want you home, so you can live a life with you’re true family, with us.”

“So were do you come into this? Why you, not offensively, but why?”

“I was always interested in humans, in Earth and when it was announced there would be a search on Earth to find you and we were in need of a guardian, of such, so she’d be ready to come to our world”

“What do you mean a search?” I interrupted.

“Well, we had to find you, so many of us disguised ourselves as humans to find you, I didn’t though. I had to prepare. You see there was, like, a contest, a search to find the perfect person. And apparently I am, with an ambition to do the job, someone who’s kind, welcoming, and not scary, around your age so the guardian could be like a friend, a buddy… and a good representative of our land. Everyone had to fill in a form, so the perfect one would be picked.”

I stopped drinking,

“So everyone, as you put it knows me? And you said no pressure.”

“Look Ebony, it’s ok.”

I felt a tickling in my throat, a hurt and worry grasping each of my words,

“No, I cant. I’m not good at being the centre of attention, I muck things up,” a tear blurred in my eye, trying to escape but I didn’t let it, “I just can’t, I’m so sorry.”

With that I grabbed the new jacket and moved out of my seat, hurrying my way to the door of the small, pokey café- still empty except from the waitress and Kye (stunned in the window).

And without looking back, I rushed my way back to the high street and as quickly as possible, tried to disappear.

To disappear from Kye, from the prophecy, from Glea, but I feared I was trying my best to disappear from what would be my future.