Chapter 7- He found me

I fell to the ground, my muscles tiered of running, my feet tired of moving. I had run as far as a mile and into a lonely alleyway corner, littered with heaving bin bags and deserted trash bins.

The fences around me were high, blocking all sight of the gardens or homes inside and the Balamory-like garages, marked with scribbled swear words and drawings were abandoned left with only empty spray cans and rubbish.

I perched on my bum, catching my breath and regaining my energy.

I knew it was all useless though; Kye would find me and tell me everything was ok, he’d persuade me to come back to insanity with his cool smile and hot presence. I knew I’d go as well, my heart went soft when he was around, my mind wasn’t my own, I’d just listen to his silky voice and do whatever he says… just like all hair-brain girls- I’m no different.

There was a rustle around the corner, quite but in this empty silent place any noise was clearly recognised. Without thought I knew it was Kye, who else could it be? The silhouette appeared against the blaring sun, odd for this time of year. The figure came closer, much like the first time I’d met Kye but he stopped far off.

“Why did you run?” He was angry. I’d never seen him like this, his voice fierce and determined.

“I had to, I don’t cope with pressure…”I could tell my voice was shaky but steadying it was impossible.

“So run for miles? Clever, clever.” the sarcastic tone in his voice annoyed me but I held it in, I was too tiered. “There’s no pressure! God! How many bloody times?!”

I tried to pull back but the fence pushed me away. Again I felt the cool tears in my eyelids trying to escape,

“Our people don’t expect that much! Not many believe the prophecy anyway, we just need to settle the story… to complete as the tradition says.”

“You don’t understand, everything’s different here.” He could hear the upset in my voice but didn’t comfort me. “Earths people have never even welcomed me, as soon as my mother and father left that changed everything. I was completely different apparently, no-one wanted to come to my house when I was younger, no-one called my mum Ebony’s mum or my dad Ebony’s dad. None of the other parents spoke to either of mine, because we were apparently different. So we moved, I entered a new school and it got worse. I had to get A*’s to make my parents proud, get a good report, please my teachers and I actually did. But then everyone exiled me, people began to stare and whisper when I walked by but then it got even worse Kye, you wouldn’t believe it! Everything I did was funny or weird; when I fell people would laugh, when I was pushed people would whisper and when I actually did well or succeeded in something I was called names and thought strange.”

I sniffed as more words rambled out in my anger.

“Doing well has always been treated as a bad thing in my life! When someone laughs or points at you how do you think it affects my self esteem? You tell me there’s no pressure but what if I come and ruin anything instead!”

Tears began to fall, leaking out of my pained expression.

“I can’t do this Kye.”

Kye came down, his strong body holding me tight, his dark eyes staring into my tear-ed ones.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have got angry… you’re right, I…” I looked up as he spoke his calming words, “ I don’t understand your life here but it doesn’t sound nice, Glea is a new start… people wouldn’t laugh or whisper unless they’re saying- look there’s that girl from Earth who’s totally brave and pretty.”