Protector of the Common Folk

Chapter 8

Protector of the Common Folk

TP POV:

The dwarves and Bilbo the hobbit sat uncomfortably and as quietly as they could (just as Bard had commanded) while Kalea was held in Bard's arms to put on a show for the guards up ahead. Bilbo strained to try to look out of a hole in the wood of the barrel he sat in as they approached people.

"Ssh. What's he doing?" Dwalin whispered rather loudly from his own barrel.

"He's talking to someone. He's pointing right at us. Now they're shaking hands." Replied Bilbo.

"What?" Thorin spat.

"He's selling us out." Assumed Dwalin.

Kalea watched as the people Bard had shaken hands with began to poor nasty, dead, smelly fish into the barrels that held the dwarves. Only her elf ears could hear the not-so-quiet grumbling of the dwarves. She stifled a laugh and looked at Bard who smiled as if watching the dwarves suffer made him happy.

When the men finished filling the barrels with fish Bard continued steering his barge toward Lake-Town. When he heard the moaning of the dwarves he kicked the barrels roughly.

"Quiet! We're approaching the toll gate." Commanded He.

"Halt! Goods inspection. Papers please!" The toll gate keeper said. "Oh, it's you, Bard!"

"Morning, Percy." Said Bard.

"Who's the lovely lady-friend you'd got there?" Asked Percy.

Bard smiled and squeezed Kalea. She forced a smile and tried to hide the bright blush that had appeared on her face. "This is Kalea. We've just recently met." He lied.

"Love at first sight, I suppose." Kalea added with a light giggle. She then could have sworn that she heard a rather familiar voice groan from one of the barrels.

Percy smiled and stared at the two then shook his head and continued his job. "Anything to declare?" He asked.

"Nothing. But I am cold and tired, and ready for home." Bard replied.

"You and me both."

Bard then handed a piece of paper to Percy who stamped it and went to return it to him saying: "There we are, all in order." when someone stopped him and snatched the piece of paper out of Percy's hand.

"Not so fast." Said a very ugly man that had slithered out of the shadows.

"Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland realm." The man (whose name was Alfrid) read from the paper.

Alfrid looked up and gestured to the barrels.

"Only they're not empty. Are they Bard? If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman. Not..." Alfrid picked up a fish from one of the barrels and revealed (without him noticing) one of the dwarves eyes. Kalea gasped and her heart started pounding. She hoped so very much that the ugly man would not see them. Bard squeezed her waist tightly to silence her. He must have noticed as well. "...a fisherman." Finished Alfrid.

"That's none of your business." Spat Bard.

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business." Replied Alfrid.

"Oh, come on, Alfrid. Have a heart, people need to eat."

"These fish are illegal." He threw the fish he held into the frigid water.

"Empty the barrels over the side." Alfrid commanded the guards near him.

The guards climbed onto the barge and began to dump the barrels of fish (and dwarves) over the side and into the water. Bard watched them with worry and Kalea tried her best not to stop the guards and kill them.

"Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce." Said Bard, trying to change Alfrid's mind.

"That's not my problem." Replied Alfrid.

"And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake? When the rioting starts? Will it be your problem then?" Bard argued.

Alfrid's countenance changed from one of satisfaction to worry and then to anger. He held up his hand to stop the guards.

"Stop!"

The guards put the barrels back onto the barge and both Kalea and Bard let out a sigh of relief.

"Ever the people's champion, hey, Bard? Protector of the common folk. You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won't last." Alfrid spat and walked off.

"Raise the gate!" Percy hollered.

Just as Bard started to casually steer the barge away Alfrid spoke;

"The Master has his eye on you. You'll do well to remember, we know where you live."

"It's a small town, Alfrid. Everyone knows where everyone lives." Bard replied with a smirk.

When the Company and Bard were at a safe distance away from Alfrid or anyone else Bard released Kalea and she immediately went to dump the dwarves out of the cramped barrels they were in. Before she could though, Bard grabbed her wrist and made her look him in the eyes.

"Your a good actor." Said he.

"Your not so bad yourself." Replied Kalea with a smile. Bard smiled back and released her wrist.

"We should do that again sometime." He added before walking off.

Kalea blushed and stared at him as he walked away without realizing that she was, in fact, in a trance. The sound of a heavy barrel tipping over startled her back into reality. She saw that the dwarf that fell out of his barrel was Fili, who looked at her with--was it jealousy?--in his eyes.

"I hope I never have to see that blasted barrel ever again." He grumbled.

Kalea helped Fili up and then proceeded to get the others. Dwalin simply refused her help and Thorin was not much nicer. Kili, on the other hand, needed Kalea and Fili's help to get out of his barrel. Kalea was able to simply grab Bilbo's underarms and yank him out, he wore the most horrified expression that made her giggle.

"Follow me." Bard then commanded.