Chapter 4 *Ashton*

The fact that I had just asked Ashton for help had even me surprised

The fact that I had just asked Ashton for help had even me surprised. I wasn't fully sure if I could trust him with this, but I needed someone to help me figure it all out. I wasn't even sure myself why I wanted to keep digging into all of these deaths, just that I knew I needed to so the other victims could have some justice done for them or even have their stories told. My eyes watched the road ahead of us, cars passing each other with someone occasionally cutting someone else off and people on the sidewalks going in and out of small shops filled with things you would expect any typical tourist to buy for a family member or friend back home. The most distinctive thing about the area was the strong smell of the ocean a few feet ahead of us. There were boats both small and large going onto the water with their traps ready as well as passengers on the tour ships taking as many pictures of the water and mountains as they possibly could.

Ashton pulled the car into a spot near the water before letting out a small sigh. "Well, we're here. Welcome to Bar Harbor, Krystal."

I smiled over at him. "It's really lovely; a little more crowded than I prefer, but it's beautiful."

"Let's go grab something to eat. There's a few nice places around here to eat at so I'll show you what there is and you can pick which one you wanna go to. Sound like a plan?"

I nodded. "Sure, that's sounds good to me."

The air when we got out of the car was cool, almost warm, but since we were close to the ocean the temperature wasn't as warm as it normally would be for this time of month. The wind was blowing just hard enough that you wanted to at least wear a light sweater while you walked; luckily Ashton and I were prepared for that and each had a summer hoodie with us. I followed close behind him up a small hill taking in the sights around us as well as the people walking by. Some you could tell weren't from here just by the way they acted while others just casually walked with their groups taking pictures of themselves every few feet.

For one reason or another, it always made me jealous seeing people with their friends or a boyfriend. Not the kind that would make me angry like most people, just a little sad due to not knowing what it was like to have something like that. The closest I had ever come to something like that is when Jack and I would hang out before he met his girlfriend. We used to be to peas in a pod at one point in time. Pulling out my phone, I saw that he still hadn't answered the text I sent him saying I had landed. Either he was busy or he just didn't really care at this point.

Ashton slowed his pace when we came up to our first option. "This place is known for having just about everything including seafood if you're into that. It's not a bad place and is honestly the better option than the other ones if you ask me."

Looking at the building I nodded. "I like this place. Why don't we just eat here and save us the trip?"

He nodded before gesturing to the door. "Alright then, after you."

Walking in we were immediately met with the smell of seafood. Personally I couldn't stand to eat the stuff but the smell wasn't half bad. The decor was a fitting nautical theme with a few novelty license plates and other things on the walls. People were talking loudly while some children walked around the crowded building while their parents tried to enjoy their lunch. A woman appearing in her early to mid thirties walked over to us with a semi-genuine smile on her face.