Chapter 6 *Ashton*

Once the door to the office closed I turned my attention back to Jason. His eyes narrowed as they met mine, making it clear he wanted me out of his office as quickly as possible.

"Listen now, Ashton," he sneered. "I don't really care who your parents are but you need to show a bit more respect around here if you expect me to help this girl out. I run a tight ship and you know it and so does your father."

"I completely understand your situation, Jason, however, whatever bad business happened between you and my father is strictly between the two of you. I just want to get this mess straightened out so I can get my life back on track."

"From the rumors I've heard your life wasn't going all that well. How's that fiancee of yours doing by the way. Valerie I think her name was?"

My fingers curled. "Veronica. We had some private issues that couldn't be resolved and ended up parting ways. I suggest that whatever rumors you claim to be hearing, it would be in your best interest to ignore them and mind your own business."

"Whatever you say, Ashton. Just keep in mind I can pull strings if I want to."

"Was that a threat?"

He glared, the tone of my voice low almost like a growl; a warning. Shaking his head he walked out of the room leaving the door open. Following him out, I began to walk down the hallway and out of the building, ignoring the other students passing by with curious stares. Pulling my phone out I checked the dozens of messages that Veronica had left; almost all of them pleading for me to reconsider. For a moment I thought of calling her and telling her that maybe once this was over with we could try again to have a life together like we dreamt about...but that wasn't a possibility anymore. There would always be that lingering doubt; always be a feeling of not being able to trust her around my own brother. Eventually she would get the message and find someone else, or at the very least her parents would find her someone else. Whatever the outcome, I wouldn't be apart of it....