Chapter 6

Almost a week has passed by since the night I slept with Ashton and he's practically gone out of his way to avoid me while I prepared for my first day at my new school. Today he didn't have much choice for being around me since he had to go to the school with me and get copies of almost everything and make sure the school knew what the situation was. As I made my way to the kitchen I noticed Ashton was already there with a piece of toast in his hand and his headphones on. Glancing up in my direction he motioned his head toward the door before walking out of the room, grabbing his car keys on his way out the door.

"This is going to be interesting," I muttered as I followed him out the door.

His headphones were off but the music was now blasting through the speakers, making the whole car vibrate.

"Ashton!" I shouted over the music. "Can I please talk to you?"

His eyes turned dark before he turned down the music. "What is it, Krystal?"

"I think we should talk about what happened and..."

"There's nothing to talk about," he snapped.

"How can you say that? Did what happened mean that little to you?"

"It didn't mean anything to me. What happened that night was nothing more than a mistake. We were both weak and went about it the wrong way; that's all there is to it."

"Ashton, I trusted you! I thought that meant something to you! Or at least that I meant something to you!"

The school building came into view just as Ashton looked over with a cold stare on his face.

"Then you can't exactly blame me, can you? It was your mistake."

"Ash..."

"You really shouldn't be so trusting," he sneered. "The world and is a dangerous place and so are the people in it. If you wanna live through all of this keep that in mind and forget about what happened that night. Now, let's go get the papers signed so you can go to class before you're late."

As much as I wanted to say something more, I couldn't manage to form a real thought; instead I focused on the school building in front of me and the hope that this morning would only get better. There were dozens of people making their way into the building while others stood around outside talking to their friends. There seemed to be the normal groups that were in every other high school. Beautiful girls dressed in their expensive outfits and cheerleading uniforms stood in one group along with the typical jock boys who thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. Another group contained the ones who didn't quite fit into the popular group and had formed their own thing.

Lastly was the gothic group. There were maybe five of them in total; two slim looking girls with black and red hair and three boys, one boy with piercing blue eyes and black hair swept to one side that went just below his cheek and cut short on the other side. Despite still being hurt by what Ashton had just said to me, I couldn't deny that this guy was absolutely stunning. He looked up from his group and our eyes met for a moment before he turned back to listen to one of the girls beside him; probably his girlfriend.

"Krystal, come on we need to move a little faster here," snapped Ashton, his voice breaking my thoughts.

"Right behind you," I muttered back.

He sighed. "Look, you're a good person and everything and I'm still here to help you, but anything more between us would be a mistake. Besides, you're still in high school and I'm twenty-five; something like that doesn't look very good. If you want someone to be with then I suggest someone closer to your age who you have more in common with. You don't wanna be with someone like me."