Chapter 6

Numb, Matsyaa sat under the shower head, soaking herself to the bone and watching the water paving its way through her knees to her calf and flowing to the tiled floor. Time was moving really fast. She thought she blinked and three months passed. A lot had happened and everything landed her here. In her bathroom, alone, unguided and directionless.

Her in-laws had gone and were probably sleeping peacefully on their comfy beds but she was wide awake in the peak of the night. Entire day's events were replaying before her eyes. Ranvijay's Nani, his dadu, his mami and his brothers; everyone's words were resonating in her ears, making her pulse elevated. 

'You're going to be his now. You should be perfect.'

'Keep him happy, Bahurani. He is going to be your husband.'

'He is the man who will always linger around you, Matsyaa. I want you to follow him.'

'My brother loves you so much even though you don't deserve it. If you mess up this time, I'll make sure you hate me for a reason.'

'I'm glad you're going to be a part of his life. Bhai really needs someone who can take care of him. Please don't disappoint him. Love him as much as he loves you.'

Her conscience hollered at her, begging to stand for herself and she wiped her face, heaving a breath. She couldn't do this. She tried to persuade herself but her heart clearly refused to be a part of a sham. It was the fact that no one needed her sacrifice when it was evidently a plan. She didn't need to dig her own grave. She had a chance to be free and she'd do it but before that, her questions must be answered. Standing up, she paraded out of her room to her parents. 

"Why are you getting me married to him?" She demanded, barging in and witnessed the naked shock on her parents' face. "What is the reason behind this wedding?" 

"Matsyaa!" Gauri gasped, overcoming her partial paralysis and rushed to wrap a towel around her but Matsyaa bunched it in her hands and threw it away, "Stop this pretension, mom. Clearly not in the mood for this." She looked at her father, "I need an answer."

"What did Ranvijay tell you?" Anup asked, closing the book he was reading and Matsyaa clenched her jaw, "Why does it matter? I am asking you. I want answers from you."

"You're getting married because you want this." He plainly said and Matsyaa gaped at him, mumbling. "Who told you?"

"Ranvijay!" Her father looked away and she closed her eyes in pain before curling her fists and exhaled, "And, you believed him?"

This time, he faced her. "You didn't protest."

"Yes and that's because he got my assent by putting you at gunpoint." She shouted, tapping a finger on her temple, "You didn't ask me but let me tell you the truth. He told me he'll kill you if I don't marry him." She ended up sobbing and rubbed her nose with the back of her palm. "I thought you'd fawn over me when I'd come back but you didn't even ask me how he was treating me. Instead you behaved as if you don't care and everything is just fine. Why?" 

"I didn't want you to get hurt, Matsyaa." Anup exploded, squeezing shut his eyes and thumped his fists on the table. "I didn't ask you because he already told me everything. I knew how he was treating you. I knew everything." 

"And you became a part of it?" 

Anup stared at her long, "So, Arush has influenced you."

"What has influenced you, dad?" She gritted out, "Power? Money? Position? Name it." 

"Matsyaa!" Gauri hissed, grabbing her forearm and glared, "Is this how you behave with your father?"

"Is this how you guys behave with your daughter?" She retorted, breaking free and matching their eyes. "I didn't believe Arush until this moment but I am not sure anymore. How could you do this to me?"