Chapter 10

The immediate morning after their engagement brought a press conference for Matsyaa. Dressed in a modest sheath, she pulled her hair in a low ponytail and applied a thin layer of foundation on her even skin. She winged her eyeliner and dabbed her lips to properly smear the nude lipstick. Diamond studs and her engagement ring was all she used to accessorize her. Bending, she wore the matching white pumps and grabbed her purse before sprinting downstairs. 

The auditorium was buzzing with the clicks of cameras and chatter of media personnel of local and national stations. She took her place beside Arush who discreetly distanced his chair from her. The action didn't go unnoticed by her but she chose to ignore it. He had screwed her mind, calling her spineless for she didn't have courage to stand firm on her decision. It wasn't a surprise that he didn't attend the engagement. 

She found Kumar present in the backseat. The man was cool as ice. From Ranvijay's reaction, she knew he wasn't aware of her stunt. Soon enough, the questions started pelting over them and everyone got engaged. She was also congratulated for her engagement and it drew her attention to the sparkling rock on her ring. 

It was burning her finger. A painful reminder of…him. She had thrown it away last night to release her frustration but wore it again in the morning. Her relatives were over enthused to scrutinize her ring and she couldn't blame them. Not everyday people get to see a real Brazilian alexandrite. It was cushion cut, fitted in a thick, white-gold bypass setting with tiny diamonds and tanzanite accent gems. It must've cost him a fortune. 

I love you, Matsyaa.

The words disturbed her again and she cleared her mind by focusing on the reporter who posed a question to her. "How do you feel about this, Ms. Rathore?" 

She blinked, clearing her throat. "Um, I am sorry I guess I missed you. What was the question again?" 

"How do you feel about being the CEO of the company? You are the youngest woman ever to reach this position. And, it's such a huge responsibility. Do you feel nervous? Is there a fear?" 

Matsyaa was in a state of shock to actually register the words. This was unexpected. Was this why her father wanted her to attend the conference? She smirked derisively on his secrecy but the audience was waiting and they needed answers. So, she answered them. 

"Well, currently, I'm feeling ecstatic. I got engaged yesterday." She flashed her engagement ring to the crowd and it elicited hooting and clapping. She smiled, smoothing a paper before her. "It's a…a great feeling and comes with greater responsibilities, so I'm a little nervous about that."

"No. No. My question was 'are you nervous about being the CEO'?" The reporter repeated and she grinned politely. "Of course not.  You should ask the board of directors whether they are feeling nervous." She tactfully replied. "In fact, I've just come to know about it. For generations, the male members of our family have held this position. So, the directors have made this decision after noticing something extraordinary in me to believe that I can command the company. I feel more confident… efficient and proud." 

The conference dragged on at a slow pace and whenever questioned, Matsyaa impressed everyone with her decent, witty remarks. Fortunately, the torture ended soon and she made a beeline for her room but Arush crossed her way. 

"So, Ms. Capable CEO!" Arush taunted her, flaunting a contemptuous grin and Matsyaa blew out a sigh, "Not in the mood, Arush." She moved to get past him but he stepped in her way. "Of course! Why will you? You've got it all. You made a wise choice, Matsyaa!"

She slanted a glower at him and he hissed, "How can you do this? I put my girlfriend in danger for you. I thought you were suffering but no. You know to play like your thrice damned father. My dad built this company and your shrewd father handed everything to you on a silver platter. You fooled me, Matsyaa."