The Caged Birds' Duet

Lingering unnoticed in the shadow of the veranda was a slight form so meager, one might have mistaken it for a large doll. A small body, with thin arms and legs wrapped in bandages and scratches. His expression was unreadable as his eyes stared out at the three people perched on the edge of the veranda, talking amongst themselves as Hasebe walked away.

Slowly stepping forward with his hands clutched to his chest, he moved to stand close to the Saniwa.

Before he could, Kogitsunemaru seemed to hear his approach, turning his head toward the blue-haired boy and staring down at him. "Oh? Well, if it isn't Sayo Samonji."

"Hello..." He stared quietly back at both of the Tachi as they looked his way.

"Ahh? Sayo?" Turning, the Saniwa faced him, and her eyes glittered as she met his gaze. Although he had questions, he couldn't help feeling...what was it? They had not seen each other since a few days before the Master was confined to her room, and from the joyous look on her face, he couldn't help thinking that maybe she was happy to see him.

Reaching out, she pulled him into her lap, stroking his hair softly. He sat in silence, trying to look up at her hand before folding his own hands in his lap and looking down at them. "Good morning, Master."

"Sayooo~ How are you today?" Wrapping her arms around him, she hugged him against her chest and nuzzled his hair. Lifting his hands, he touched his palms to her arms.

"I was going to check the persimmons..."

"Oh, is it that season already? I'll go too!" Unwrapping one arm from around him, she grabbed her cup of tea and drank the last of it. "Thank you very much, Kogitsunemaru and Mikazuki Munechika! I will see you later. Come on, Sayo!"

As she spoke, she set aside her emptied cup and rose from her seat between the two. Sayo, still in her arms - held firmly with both at this point - glanced over at the two Tachi, legs dangling limply. "Goodbye."

A look of amusement passed Mikazuki as he looked at Sayo, the effective ragdoll. He held back a chuckle and covered his mouth with his hand. "Ha ha ha, you take care now."

Standing with her, Kogitsunemaru moved closer and ruffled the Saniwa's hair, earning a feigned complaint. "Don't forget to see us again soon, Nushi-sama! This small fox gets bored sometimes."

"I know, I'll remember." Somehow managing to bow slightly while holding Sayo, she turned and ran off towards the grove of trees where the persimmons were known to grow.

It wasn't long before they were alone. His gaze remained down on the ground, watching the earth shift by quietly. Still...something was bugging him. Finally, he looked up. "Master?"

An instantly-flashed smile, disarmingly easy and radiant as the sun. "Yes, what is it, Sayo?"

He pondered her earlier actions a moment longer, then... "Why didn't you tell Hasebe what you did?"

That brilliant expression faltered, as did her breath. She seemed staggered by the question, looking at him in surprise before turning her head and avoiding his gaze. "I-I...uhm..."

"You tricked him in a way, right?" An audible gasp, and she looked back at him. Her eyes housed...something like sadness, something like embarrassement. Somehow, though, she loomed...apologetic. Such a strange mix of expressions.

"...I can't deny it. I just didn't want him to get upset."

She had stopped walking, and instead averted her gaze off to a tuft of grass to the right. He could just barely make out the way her jaw tightened and she drew a heavy breath. "Is it okay to deceive people, as long as you are protecting their feelings?"