Nighttime Treatise

The lantern's flame dipped low, casting shadows across the walls as you let out a light sigh.

Hair tied back, you were wearing your sleeping yukata and working on some last minute paperwork. Diligence was necessary in maintaining the daily operations of the Citadel, after all...

A sigh, and you lowered your pen, glancing up at the clock on the mantle. 10pm... Hmm.

You heard soft footfalls outside your door. "General?"

Ah... Yes, it was right around that time. The Awataguchi were not in the habit of staying up too particularly late.

Setting down your pen, you flicked your finfers and twisted your wrists one way, and then the other. "Come in, Yagen Toushirou." Picking up the pen again, you looked down at the papers laid out in front of you.

Your vision was blurring slightly, eyes starting to feel... Dry? Blinking did nothing to alleviate the sensation, and neither did rubbing them to try to clear the dull sensation away.

Sighing softly, you peered back down at the paperwork, rereading what was already written.

The door to your room had slid open at this point, and the raven-haired tanto made his way in, sliding the door shut behind him. "Are you ready?"

You glanced up at him, taking stock - he was already in a sleeping yukata himself, but...had a few instruments and a clipboard in his hands which you assumed were from his lab. "Yes. Are your brothers in bed for the night?" Glancing back down at your work, you listened to him slowly making his way over.

A bit of shuffling, and you assumed he was getting his affairs in order for the evening. "It's taken care of."

So matter-of-fact... Ah, but that was Yagen Toushirou.

You nodded, taking a deep breath right before a yawn escaped and surprised you. Blinking, you looked at tour paperwork again... Oddly unsure of whether or not you even remembered what was on it. "I'm finishing the last of this paperwork, but... I'll lay out my futon in a moment." Yeah, you had to get it done.

You heard footsteps, and then a door being slid open. Glancing up, you saw Yagen at your closet, pulling your bedding from the basket you had it folded inside of. "I've got that. Clear away your desk, General. Rest is important, or you'll catch a cold."

Well, if it's doctor's orders... Who were you to refuse? Sliding your paperwork together into a neat pile, you clipped the pages together and then slipped them into a folder.

Tossing it aside, you cleared off the desk and then started folding it up. Yagen was next to you in a moment, lifting the desk away and instructing you to clean up the lighter odds and ends. "I can carry that, you know." You laughed a little, watching him set it in the closet and slide the door shut. "I do at least this much every day."

He chuckled, and that deep voice reached your ears again as he carried on back to his equipment, spreading it out in an area near the closet door. "I can take care of it for tonight, at least. It's better if you don't start rousing yourself out of sleep right before bed."

If you closed your eyes, you could almost imagine him as an older gentleman when he spoke.

Well... To an extent.

A smile tugged at the corners of your lips as you cleared away the last of what you had been working on. "Haha, as you say, as you say... Mmm, but I'm tired regardless." You yawned again, rubbing your eyes and fumbling with the futon. "Hope this doesn't mess up your study, Yagen."