Protection

Eddie bounced down the stairs the following morning, a smile painted across his face that exposed his white teeth. His mother didn't look as happy.

"Bye bye Momma!" Eddie kissed her cheek and skipped out the door.

He better enjoy his last day with that delinquent. Mrs. Kaspbrak thought to herself as she read the newspaper off of her phone.

She spent the rest of her day compiling what she was going to say to Richie when she showed up at the ice cream shop he worked at. It wasn't hard to google his name and find his occupation and hours. He would be there tomorrow from eleven in the morning to twelve at night. She was going to make him sorry for every going near her son.

-

The next morning Mrs. Kaspbrak woke up to an empty house. Eddie has slept over at Mike's house, she confirmed this when she checked his location. She frequently checked it, to make sure he wasn't some how with Richie Tozier.

When eleven o'clock rolled around, she was already outside the ice cream shop. Richie was the opener. She watched him from her car as he unlocked the doors with keys and flipped the sign that once said "closed" over to "open". Mrs. K checked once more on Eddie's location and checked his vision. He was still with Mike.

She turned the keys of her car and walked into the shop. Richie was stood behind the counter, wiping it down.

"Welcome to - well hi Mrs. Kaspbrak!" He smiled warmly at her when he recognized her face. He expected the same in return, but her face didn't change from a scowl.

"I know what you've been doing. You better stay the hell away from my son." She felt her blood begin to boil. She smirked a little at Richie's petrified face.

"Ma-Ma'am I don't know what you're talking about." Richie was glad there was a display of ice cream separating them or he'd be scared she was going to punch him.

"I know you got him drunk! And taught him about - about," Her voice went from loud to soft. "Porn." Richie felt his cheeks be flushed.

"Look I-" He went to speak but was interrupted.

"No, you look, don't ever talk to Eddie again." With the threat in place, she stormed out of the shop. Leaving a frazzled Richie Tozier behind.

-

"Hey Rich!" Eddie approached their lunch table Monday afternoon with a smile. It faded when he watched all his friends pick up their lunch and leave. Eddie didn't understand. "Guys?" His voice cracked.

Mike ventured off and walked back towards Eddie. "Richie asked me to tell you to uhm - stay away from him." Mike could feel Eddie's heart break into shambles. The look on his face said his pain. "I'm sorry." He put a hand on the broken boy's shoulder before walking away.

Eddie ate lunch alone at the once occupied table. He was becoming an expert at holding in his tears.

When fourth period rolled around, Richie changed seats. He sat on the complete opposite side of the room, creating conflicts with the person who used to sit there. Richie wasn't good at problem solving. Instead of simply asking for a seat change or seeing if the boy would swap with him, he punched him. The boy he punched was about a thirty pounds heavier than Richie, in muscle. As one would expect, Richie got his ass beat and sent to the principal's office. At least he didn't have to sit and watch Eddie crumble in front of him. Getting a three day suspension and every hand his father left on him, still didn't hurt half as badly as imagining Eddie's face.

-

"How was your day Eddie?" Mrs. Kaspbrak leaned against the doorframe, smiling. She had checked during the day, knowing he hadn't talked to Richie.

"Fine." Eddie shoved past her. Brushing his shoulder against his. She didn't follow him as he dashed up the stairs, racing against his tears.

The first thing he did was text Richie. He always answered his texts as soon as he sent them, but his phone was blank. He didn't understand. Was Richie just playing him? Leading him to make him look like a fool? Was the rest of his friends in on it? Did they all laugh behind his back? These questions harassed Eddie's mind as he started at the black screen in front of his face.

Eddie heard his mother call his name for dinner, but he didn't move. He faced his bedroom wall, his phone in front of him. Mrs. Kaspbrak had been watching, through Arkangel, at her son being motionless. She didn't feel bad though. She hadn't done anything wrong, she was only protecting her boy from that Tozier. He was bad news, she knew he was. So she separated them, for the best.