My Secret Life

Prologue

Dear Diary,

I have a secret that I've never told anyone before. But I'm going to share it with you because I know I can trust you. I'm a mermaid. You probably weren't expecting that, were you? Well, it's true, and I'm going to tell you how it happened.

It was when I was on vacation with my family in Florida two years ago. We stayed at a little resort on the beach. It was the beginning of May, and not many people were staying there. Which made the place soundless, perfect for relaxing

So one morning I decided to go for a walk on the boardwalk. My parents were a little hesitant about me going on a walk by myself. I was only thirteen. I told them that I wasn't going far and that I'd have my phone with me. After I had grabbed some money and my phone, I headed out.

I slowly walked down the boardwalk just taking in the warm sun and breathing in the salty air. My long wavy red hair is blowing in the light wind. I felt at home here, like I belonged. I couldn't wait till my dad was able to get a job here so that we could live down here.

I came across some little shops and decided to take a look. I walked into a store filled with cute homemade nicknacks. I made my way looking through everything when something caught my eye. I was standing at the jewelry table and in the center was a necklace of tiny seashells on a simple chain. It was beautiful, the shells were polished and shone in the sunlight. I picked it up and brought it to the cashier counter.

"Nice choice." She said. Them when she noticed my "I'd rather be a mermaid" T-shirt. Her face lit up, and she winked at me.

"Thanks," I said feeling a little awkward.

After I had paid for my necklace, I headed back to the resort.

**************************

Later that day my family and I were hanging out at the pool. I was just playing shark and minnows with my younger brother and sister. I got out of the pool, made sure my necklace was still on my neck. I fell more in love with it every second. It was almost like I had a connection with it, it felt like a part of me. Which was weird because it was a necklace, plus all afternoon people kept giving me compliments and asking where I got it.

I started walking down to the beach with my sister Amy. As soon as we got to the ocean, we jumped right in. Splashing around and looking for shells. Then Holly got tried, she took our little collection and headed back. I stayed behind to swim some more.

I dove under the waves and just swam like there was no tomorrow. When I came up for air, I was thinking about how I always use to pretend to be a mermaid when I little. I then dove again only this time I swam like a mermaid, wishing with all my heart that I could just grow fins. That's when it happened. All of a sudden my legs stuck together and went numb. I started to panic and tried to get to the surface because I was running out of the air. I was moving my arms like crazy; then I finally broke through the water. I started taking in deep breaths trying to calm myself down. My legs are still stuck together, and they feel massive like there are weights attached to them. I used my arms and started paddling myself to the rocks a few feet ahead of me. I hoisted myself on a rock, hoping my legs would return to normal. But as soon as I lifted them out of the water I let out a huge scream!

Instead of my thick muscular legs, there was a tail! Yes Diary a tail, I totally wasn't expecting that. I sat there in shock and awe. Unable to move, speak, think, or do anything. I just stared at my, well my tail, which was beautiful. At my waist it was turquoise blue, then a few inches down it started fading into a light sea foam green, and the tips of my tail was light purple. I looked up and noticed my bathing suit was gone and replaced with a seashell bra. It is made of two big bright purple shells that were connected by seaweed. And on my head was a crown made up of seaweed, shells and other underwater plants.

I then noticed that my necklace was sparkling like crazy. Questions started racing through my head. Did it cause this? Is it magical? Or did something else cause it? I put those problems in the back of my mind, for now, I'll deal with them later.

I then went back to the fact that I had become a mermaid. Which made me start hyperventilating with excitement. I quickly jumped off of the rock and dove right into the ocean. I wanted to swim with my new tail.

I never swam that much before that day. My tail was so robust and powerful. I raced along the seabed, exploring that new world that I was now a part of.

I had no clue how long I was down there. I went up for some air and noticed that the sun began to set.

"Oh no, Mom and Dad might be looking for me," I said to myself.

I made my way back to the water's edge. And then that one question that never came up before entered my mind and forced me stop dead in my tracks. What if I couldn't change back?

Without trying to panic, I was thinking about what to do. Then I remembered the moment I changed. I made a wish, so that's what I did. I wished I was human again, and instantly my tail started to split in two. I bent over and felt my legs letting out a huge sigh of relief. I quickly made my way out of the water and ran up the beach.

*************************

I walked into the bathroom that I was sharing with my siblings and locked the door. I wanted more answers on what happened before and decided to do some experiments. While filling up the bathtub, I put my bathing suit back and sat in the tube. Only this time I took my necklace off. I closed my eyes and imagined myself as a mermaid-like I did earlier before and made a wish. Except nothing happened, then I put my necklace back on and did it again. This time it worked! My legs melted together turning into a tail. I let out a small squeal of glee.

So it was the necklace, it was magical, my theory just proved it. Only with it on I was able to transform into a mermaid and then back into a human. Now all I have to do is keep it a secret. My secret life as a mermaid.