A Chance

I sat across from Anthony at a small cafe near my apartment. I shifted in my seat, avoiding eye contact. I could feel his gaze burning into me and I almost wanted to run out of there to my home and bury myself underneath my soft blankets.

"Why didn't I smell your vampire scent?" Anthony asked.

"I've been around humans for 28 centuries, Anthony. My scent has been diluted," I answered.

"You know I'm a werewolf?" he questioned.

"...yes."

"Are you aware that you are my Soulmate?"

"I-I, yes, I am."

I continued to not look towards him, his stare drilling holes into my body. I had not meant for him to find out like this. I curled in on myself as tears welled in my eyes, I was afraid to get close to him. All the people I cared about were either murdered, died from old age, or I had to kill them.

"Ethan, I'm not mad," Anthony said, seeing my watery eyes. I shook my head.

"That-that's not it, I-I'm just afraid of opening myself up to someone again," I responded quietly, "Everyone I have ever cared about has died."

"I won't die that easily."

"You should be glad that I like you enough to give you a chance."

"Thank you, Ethan."

---ooO0Ooo---

I woke on Monday to my alarm clock blaring loudly. Ugh, I don't want to go to school, I thought as I got dressed. I wonder if Anthony told his friends about me being a vampire? I finished drinking my red breakfast before leaving the house and heading to school. I entered the crowded halls of high school and looked for Anthony's head peeking above the crowd. I saw him standing with Max and Jessica. They were near what I was assuming was Anthony's locker. As I made my way over and Max spotted me and nudged Anthony. He looked towards where his friend was pointing and smiled at the sight of me.

"Morning~," I sang in greeting.

"Mornin' Coco," Anthony replied in a seductive voice.

"Coco?" I asked.

"Cause my favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate," he responded.

"God, that's cheesy," Jessica commented. I chuckled, shaking my head. When the bell rang we all winced.

"I hate enhanced hearing," I mumbled.

"Same," Anthony said in agreement.

"Well, we can't do a thing about it. Now, we have to get to class," Max chided. With that, we went our separate ways to our homerooms.

---ooO0Ooo---

I slipped into the half-full history class with Anthony at my side. He glared at all those who stared at me for too long with jealousy in their eyes. I smiled at his protective nature before we took our seats. I slumped in my chair already wishing that the period was over as the rest of the students made their way in. The school day seemed to go by much faster than it usually did, but I had no idea why. Anthony and I were standing the hallway during lunch talking when the fire alarm for the drill went off. Anthony, having stronger hearing than I do, wore earplugs for the bell so he was not as affected as me. I cried out and covered my ears, falling to the ground in pain as the alarm continued to echo.

"Ethan!" Anthony exclaimed in worry. He sunk to the floor with me, covering my hands that were over my ears with his own, helping to block out the sound. He helped me to my feet, keeping my ears covered, and we made our way out of the school building. Once we were outside in the parking lot, with the many other students, Anthony slowly uncovered my ears. I leaned against his chest.

"Thank you," I whispered, my ears still ringing from being abused, as our homeroom teachers made sure everyone was outside before we went back to the school. Once 5th period started we had to go separate ways since we only had history class together.