Chapter 4: Can you be my nightingale?

𝒜𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇'𝓈 𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: Don't judge me I was obsessed with the song when I wrote this chapter. Can we be happy that Jeremy caught Michael in his boxers while singing a pop song WHILE USING A BRUSH AS A MICROPHONE and didn't say anything about it? Usually I don't name chapters after songs but I guess this is the one time. 🎵(One Last Time)🎵

"I can't sleep tonight. Wide awake and so confused. Everything's in line. But I am bruised."
"How am I not stuttering right now?" Jeremy thought to himself.
"I need a voice to echo." He sang softly. "I need a light to take me home. I kinda need a hero. Is it you?"
"I never see the forest for the trees. I could really use your melody. Baby, I'm a little blind. I think it's time for you to find me!"
"Can you be my nightingale? Sing to me, I know you're there. You could be my salinity. But bring me peace. Sing me to sleep." Jeremy delicately pulled Michael closer with the arm already placed on his shoulders. He could hear Michael's slowing heartbeat quicken, and he looked up at him with his bruised and bloody face before resting his head on his chest, slumping against him.
"Say you'll be my nightingale."
Jeremy glanced down at Michael, who was already staring up at him. Jeremy realized how beautiful his brown eyes eyes were. They were tinged with an unhealthy red near his eyelids, but with another darker shade naturally between his irises and his pupil. Jeremy noticed a bit of green around the chestnut color, the last iris color before seeing the reddened whites.
"How did I not notice his eyes were so beautiful?" Jeremy thought, beginning to observe his face. Most of it was in fact purple from banging his head on the toilet. The lids of both his eyes were blue, and there were all sorts of cuts on his cheeks and chin.
Michael broke his gaze away when he doubled over and barfed in the toilet again, but he put his head too far into the toilet that he practically gave himself a flushie in his own throw up. Michael created bubbles as he moaned and groaned attempting to get his stuck head out of the toilet. Jeremy lifted the lid, releasing Michael from it's grasp as he began to hyperventilate again from fear and pure embarrassment.
Jeremy quickly grabbed a towel for Michael to sit on as he began the second verse of "Nightingale".
"Somebody speak to me. Cuz I'm feeling like hell." Jeremy guided Michael's head onto his lap.
"Need you to answer me. I'm overwhelmed."
He began rubbing circles onto Michael's back.
"I need a voice to echo. I need a light to take me home. I need a star to follow. I don't know."
Jeremy was surprised he hadn't stuttered this whole time.
"I never see the forest for the trees. I could really use your melody. Baby, I'm a little blind. I think it's time-"
A loud knock sounded from the other side of the door. Jeremy cleared his throat as Michael tensed up, expecting him to leave.
"Er.... I'm on my period!" It was pretty easy for Jeremy to manage a high pitched voice.
"Ok, sweetie! Take your time!" They heard Chloe shout from the other side.
Jeremy continued the song as he weaved his hands through Michael's hair.
"-For you to find me! Can you be my Nightingale? Sing to me, I know you're there. You could be my sanity. But bring me peace, sing me to sleep."
Jeremy still surprised himself with how well he was doing with the song.
Michael sat up and leaned against Jeremy as he draped an arm around his shoulders.
"Say you'll be my nightingale."
Jeremy felt triumph when Michael finally stopped trembling.
"What happened to my Michael?" Jeremy thought.
His confident friend who always wore a goofy smile. Who would congratulate him for almost everything he did, no matter how pointless or silly it was. Who was constantly hopeful for a better future. Michael, who was so excited to be sharing new information he found on Discovery Channel. Who believes in Jeremy more than he believes in himself. Who never put anyone down, not even the kids who would purposely shove or trip him in the hallways. Who never believed anyone's opinions but Jeremy's. Who told Jeremy that everyone who made fun of them were "Just jealous of our awesomeness." Michael, who would jump up and down whenever he found a new song he liked. Who would bob his head and tap his feet and fingers when listening to music.
What happened to that guy?
Now he's bruised and bloody on the floor of a bathroom, slumped over, attempting not to tremble and hyperventilate.
Michael, who now has bloodshot eyes.
Michael, who Jeremy never remembered being this sad their whole lives.
Michael, who's breathing slowed as he fell asleep.
"I don't know what I'd do without you. Your words are like a whisper cutting through. As long as you are with me here tonight, I'm good."
Michael's swollen eyes gently shut.
"Can you be my nightingale?" Jeremy whispered.
"Feels so close, I know you're there. Oh, Nightingale. You sing to me, I know you're there. Cuz baby, you're my sanity. You bring me peace. Sing me to sleep. Say you'll be my nightingale."