Chapter 3

"...Four thirty on Saturday, Coach aggreed," Kaoru triumphantly nodded at Misa the next day as the two stood outside the third years' classroom.  "However, it's interesting that he actually agreed..." she noted more to herself than to her senpai.

"Yaaay~" she glomped the first year student. "So I'll play and you do too...but we need one more player..." Misa glanced over menacingly at her younger brother who happened to be there to bother Asahi and Sugawara. "Ryuu..."

"C-Count me out!!!" he flailed. "I ain't playing with you!!! N-Nor chibi Suga either!"

"Tch, can't count on that lousy brother," Misa growled as he scampered off. "Well, if we did have practice today, I wouldn't be able to make it. I'm...busy," she tapped a delicately manicured fingernail on her chin. "With stuff," she added.

"You mean following that guy when he goes to work-" Kaoru began to say, but MIsa cut her off quickly.

"Oi, oi, oi, Kaorucchi," Misa sweatdropped, "Why don't you be a kind girl and go back to your class...and be silent about this?~"

Kaoru faintly smiled and waved, turning to leave. "Are you sure you don't want anything from the vending machine?" she asked.

The brunette waved. "Nope~ I'm good!"

-

Kageyama stared at the glass-cased machine before him, yawning as he fed the device money and pressed the two buttons like usual for his yogurt drink. However, the drink got stuck halfway. Again. "Darn this stupid contraption. It's almost as retarded as Hinata," he growled, kicking it, but to no avail.

Slender hands slipping coins into the slot startled him as he glanced over. The platinum blonde was definitely not there earlier. Tobio rubbed his eyes. Maybe he wasn't getting enough sleep lately.

After freeing his drink with her selected grape juice box, Kaoru tilted her head a bit as she impaled the juice box rather mercilessly. "Kageyama-kun, right?" she asked, presuming. "What position do you normally play?"

He blinked owlishly. This girl was open when she wanted to and silent when she felt like it, he realized. "Setter," he replied, drinking his own cool drink.  "You?"

"Mainly libero."

The two of them just stared at each other for a couple of moments before the bell started to ring, reminding Kageyama to head back to class. "Are you going to practice later," he asked. "Sugawara-san?"

"Maybe," was the curt reply. "And Kaoru's okay, too."

Kageyama turned to watch the girl walk away. She was an interesting one, he admitted to himself. Curious, indeed.

-

The school bells rang in the afternoon, signaling the escape of club members to their own respective club activities. However, Kaoru sat there in class, finishing the roll for her class. Yamaguchi and Tsukishima had already left the class without even a second glance - well, Yamaguchi had tried to make some joke, but Tsukki just cut him off - and the room was silent except for the few girls that lingered here and there, gossiping to one another.

"Ah, Sugawara-san," a girl suddenly came up to the silent platinum blonde. "Why won't you join the volleyball team~? I mean, we could really use you and all!"

Kaoru stopped writing, her pencil frozen as she didn't look up. "That's true...you all could use me...but isn't it true you guys aren't accepting any more members?"

The girl stuttered, trying to cover it up. "W-Well, I mean...aren't you friends with that former Neko- I mean, Tanaka-senpai? She could have just added you if she wanted to."