Chapter 6

"She broke her arm, didn't she?" Daichi suddenly said, his arms crossed.

"Haah?  Oh, that's right, I told you before, right?" Sugawara rubbed the back of his head.  "Yeah, during practice at the beginning of the year, Kaoru's arm got crushed when she was trying to save a ball, and somebody tried to go after it at the same time."

"Is that why she's always wearing that brace?" Tanaka noted.

"Yeah."  Sugawara's gaze lingered over his cousin a second longer, then he sighed, rubbing his neck.  "I don't really know what she's thinking right now, but I think it's because her motivation and wish are all wrong right now.  I wish she'd like volleyball like she used to..."

"Like she used to, huh?" Daichi mused.  He suddenly strode over to the freshmen.  "Oi.  Kaoru."

She looked over in confusion, and the ball fell on top of her head.  "Itee...yes, captain?"

"Let's have the match right now."

-

"Asahi, Sugawara, and Nishinoya against Hinata, Kageyama, and you.  Is that all right?" Daichi's question was contrary to his tone since he obviously wasn't going to accept any arguments.

"H-Hai!" everyone yelled, quickly scrambling off the court to get ready.

"H-Hold up!" Hinata was waving his arms wildly as he grabbed Kageyama's attention.  "We're going to go against all third-years?!  I-Isn't that not fair for-"

"Don't tell me you're nervous," Kageyama growled at the ginger head, grabbing his skull tightly.  "Don't you want to surpass the ace?"

"N-No, that's not what I'm trying to say!" Hinata flailed, trying to pry Kageyama's fingers off of his head.  "I mean-"

"You mean, you don't think I can handle it, right?" Kaoru's voice startled them.  She was gripping her wrist, and a defiant spark shone in her eyes.  "I'll win.  I have to.  Because of that promise."

Kageyama and Hinata ceased arguing and stood there.  "Right, we'll win, of course," Kageyama gave a hint of a grin.

"Yoshaa!  Let's do this!" Hinata agreed.

"This is the first time I play against Kaoru-chan with other people like this," Sugawara was chuckling on the other side of the court.

"Oh, really?  I can't wait to test her skills," Nishinoya grinned, getting pumped.

"But...I can't help but feel bad for her somehow," Asahi said on a softer note, and the two knew they also agreed.  They glanced over at the freshmen silently-

"You don't have to worry about me," Kaoru suddenly appeared behind the three third-years.

"H-Ha-ah?!"

"Please, don't hold back.  Otherwise it won't be a true victory," Kaoru was completely calm but serious.

"Don't push yourself too hard," Sugawara finally said, giving Kaoru a gentle pat on her shoulder.  "I don't want you to fall asleep right before dinner."

Kaoru blushed, embarrassed, and turned away.  "I'll show you," she threatened, running back to the other side.  "Let's do this, guys," she nodded to Daichi that it was all right to begin.

==

Yui ran down the hall, panting.  "Don't tell me..." she cursed under her breath when she didn't see Daichi in the homeroom.  "They already started..."

==

"Let's go...!!" Asahi sent the first serve flying over the net, which Kaoru easily received.