Chapter 01; Fortune is Unpredictable and Mutable

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟶𝟷

She sat up, wincing at the movement because she seemed to be sore for some reason. She was laying on the ground, smack in the dirt. Disgusting. Her clothes were absolutely horrid, all covered in dirt and more. They were also a bit damp. Had she gone swimming? No. She hadn't, at least, not in a pool or the ocean, because upon taking a whiff of herself, they were putrid. Had she waded in sewage or something?

Her attention then left herself so she could get a look at the scenery around her. Nothing seemed familiar as she pushed herself to a wobbly stand.

Ah, that explains it. She was right next to a river. There was also a bridge going across the river just a few metres from where she currently stood.

"What a coincidence." [name] said as she walked beside her blonde co-worker, Kunikida Doppo.

"What?" Kunikida asked as he stopped scribbling in his notebook for a second. He was angry at the moment, but he was always gentle with [name]. The said girl had a smirk on her face as she pointed over to across the river.

Dazai Osamu could be seen, as well as a boy with oddly cut silver hair. Kunikida sighed as he looked over before he quickly trudged over to stand by the river, on the opposite to the two boys.

[name] stood off to the side and simply watched as Kunikida yelled angrily at Dazai. "This will turn to be similar, I suppose." She said to herself as she stared at the boy with the odd haircut. He seemed to notice her staring and he looked over to her, jumping a little as their eyes met.

The boy had fallen victim to one of [name]'s infamous, off-putting stares of intimidation and creep.

~[{}]~

Before [name] knew it, she, her two co-workers, and the boy had travelled to a tea shop, and the boy was devouring bowls of tea on rice one after the other until there were stacks of the empty bowls around him.

"How amusing." [name] said in a silky voice, causing the boy, who she learned was named Atsushi Nakajima, to look at her in question. "You were starving. Perhaps you were hungry enough to eat a man!" She said, laughing at her own statement.

"Perhaps," Dazai said with a hum.

"Ah, I'm so full!" Atsushi said as he leaned back in his seat. "I don't want to see another bowl of tea on rice for at least ten more years!" Kunikida was about to say something, probably grumbling about how he had to pay for it, but Atsushi spoke again before he could. "You're a real life saver, you know? After leaving the orphanage, I've had nothing to eat and no where to sleep. I thought I was going to die of starvation."

"You're from an orphanage?" [name] asked as the two men across the table softened their gazes.

"Yes," Atsushi said with a soft sigh. "But they kicked me out."

"That's some non-profit there." Dazai said.

"Oi, Dazai. We're not philanthropists, okay? Let's get back to the job at hand." Kunikida said while lifting his ideal.

"That reminds me," Atsushi started. "You said earlier that your job involves the military."

"Oh, yes. We're private investigators." [name] said. "But we don't handle the trivial stuff."

"Have you heard of the Armed Detective Agency?" Kunikida asked the boy. "An organization made up of individuals that possess supernatural powers?" Atsushi gasped at that before he got lost in thought while he stared at the two in front of him.

'I've heard rumours about the Armed Detective Agency...' He thought. 'An Armed force of people who are gifted with supernatural powers... but...' He glanced over at the girl sitting next to him. [name] was doodling on her hand with her pen. He then looked back over at the two in front of him. 'Does that apply to these three?'