Chapter 07; Beauty, Hushed Like a Statue

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟶𝟽

"I'm sorry, Miss [last name], but I'm afraid I have no other choice."

"I must be dreaming."

"You see, you sealed this fate for yourself..."

"It's just a dream, isn't it?"

"...the moment you decided to be such a stickler to the rules."

"I'm so sorry..." She inhaled a sharp breath while she felt as if she were suffocating. Breathing became hard, her knees felt like they were about to give up and let her drop to the ground. "I really am... th-this shouldn't have happened..."

"You can't blame yourself, [name]," Doctor Akiko Yosano said softly as she put a hand on [name]'s shoulder. "Really—"

"It's my fault! This is my fault! So many people... that girl... Atsushi...! It's my fault!"

"It's not, don't beat yourself up over it. Atsushi will be just fine with my ability, and you couldn't have done anything to help those people."

"I-I shouldn't have told you guys anything! I didn't know anything! I didn't know what to do but I still acted like I did and this is my fault!" [name] yelled through ragged and sharp inhales of air. "I-It's my fault..."

~~

"It is no matter." Akutagawa said as he put his phone in his pocket. "A pawn is just a pawn, after all. No matter how strong they may be. Pawns will fall once they serve their purpose. And she served her purpose well."

Dazai listened to Akutagawa carefully as he stood, chained to the wall. "With Kyouka's death, people will fear the Port Mafia even more than before. Strapping that bomb on her really was quite the advantageous strategy."

~~

"Please, [name], you need to calm down, take nice, deep breaths." Yosano said as [name]'s knees finally gave way, letting the (hair colour) haired girl sink to the ground.

"No... Atsushi almost died, so many people on that train died, while I sat there and did absolutely nothing...! All because I just.. I just didn't know how it would end..!" Tears that had been building up in her eyes started to pour out. "That girl... she was so young, so unlucky... maybe if I had done something, anything, she could've been saved..."

"[name]—"

"I did this! All those people, that girl... they're all dead because.. because I was such a stickler for my ways! For the entire two years I've been here, I've never really done anything, especially when it's a tense situation, without following my stupid predictions! I'm so stupid... so incapable...! I'm practically invincible, damn it! I could have done so much to help...!"

"[name], you need to calm down." Yosano said, her softer tone being replaced by sternness. "Yelling like this won't undo any of what happened. We need to focus on other things now, alright?"

[name]'s cheeks were stained with tears, but she sniffled and stopped the flow, wiping her eyes with her hands. "...Alright," She muttered quietly after a few moments.

"Alright. Why don't we go check up on Atsushi? He should be awake by now, and I'm sure he'd like your company, [name]." Yosano suggested as she held out her hand to help the younger girl up from the ground. [name] gave another sniffle and a soft nod.

"Okay... and I can apologize to him," She mumbled. "For my screw up."

~[{}]~

"Where are you going?" Kunikida asked as [name] drifted towards the door of the Agency. It had been two days, and [name] was still feeling quite guilty about the train incident with the Mafia bombers.

"Just for a stroll, is all." She said simply. "I'll be back soon. I just want some fresh air."

Kunikida let out a soft sigh, but didn't bother her about it. "Alright, then. Stay safe." Kunikida was always gentle with [name].

"I will." She said with a nod before opening the door and quickly slipping out of the office.

[name] walked around the streets of Yokohama aimlessly. Just a stroll, as she had said. She wanted to just relax, clear her mind. She wanted to go back to the way she had been for the past two years; carefree, somewhat impish, informed.

The (hair colour) haired girl found herself standing on a bridge over the river. She leaned against the railing, facing the water as well as the sunset. It was the end of the work day, so when she got back, she would probably just head straight to her dorm. She let out a sigh that held so many emotions. Frustration, guilt, confusion, and more.

"Mental breakdowns really don't suit me," [name] muttered to herself, thinking back on how she acted in Yosano's presence about the train incident. "I probably looked really stupid." Her (eye colour) eyes stared out at the river, the shining sunset reflecting off the water, making it glisten in the warm light. "If only I had done something..."

"There's nothing you could've done, I'm afraid." A voice spoke up from behind [name], followed by a few coughs. [name] turned her head to see the dog of the Port Mafia, himself. "Greetings, Invincible girl of the Armed Detective Agency."

"Right back at you, Ryunosuke Akutagawa of the Port Mafia." [name] said, turning her head back to look at the sunset. "What are you doing here? I don't suppose you came for the view."

"I came looking for you, Invincible girl." He said. [name] could practically feel his piercing stare.

"How did you know I would be here, hm?" She replied nonchalantly.

"A lucky coincidence."

"Well, that's good for you." [name] said. "Isn't this view lovely? The sunset over the river, truly picture worthy."

"I came looking for you to kill you, Invincible girl." Akutagawa said in his hoarse voice, ignoring [name]'s pointless words.

"Oh really? And why's that?"

"If I kill someone who is supposedly invincible, then everyone will truly know how strong I am, and he will acknowledge my strength." Akutagawa said with a cough as he walked closer to [name]. "I'll kill you right here, right now. It will be so easy, and everyone will see how strong I am."

"Hey, now. Don't get any funny ideas." [name] tensed up a bit as a frown came to her face, turning her head again so she could look back at Akutagawa. "You can't kill me."

"Watch me." He said lowly.

"Come enjoy the sun set with me, instead."

Akutagawa paused for a moment. Her words were quite unusual. There was absolutely no fear in [name]'s voice, and she sounded genuine in her offer, not just something stupid she was saying. "Excuse me?"

"Come enjoy the sunset with me, Akutagawa."

"Rashomon."

~[{}]~

hello!
sorry that this chapter is shorter than usual, and it's probably very out of place ~.~
but, hey!
two new updates within about a day!
I hope to update a bit more very soon,

until next time