Chapter 05; Murder on D Street

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟶𝟻

"[full name], we meet at last." A voice said. It sounded a bit distorted, and it was only a voice, as [name] could only see darkness. "It's an honour to meet such a young talent." [name] said something in return to that, but she couldn't hear what she said. "Ah, the pleasure is all mine, Miss [last name]! Why don't we go inside? You can show me around and tell me about..."

[name] sat up quickly, her eyes blowing wide. She looked around, a bit disoriented, and she was on the couch in the Agency. Her shoulders relaxed a bit and she let out a breath. "[last name], huh...?"

"You're finally awake." Kunikida said as he stopped by the couches. "You woke up just in time. Why don't you go along with Ranpo-san and the brat? They're heading to a murder case." He could certainly tell that [name] just had another of her dreams.

She took a moment to process Kunikida's words before she gave a slow nod and stood up. "Alright, sounds neat." She mumbled, stretching a bit before she walked over to follow Atsushi and Ranpo out of the Agency.

As the three walked to the train station, [name] was completely distracted by the dream she had, only paying enough attention to reality so that she could follow Ranpo and Atsushi and not be separated. She wasn't totally sure of what to make of that dream. [last name]... was that really her own name? Or was it just a dream? She couldn't tell. It was so surreal, that dream. It felt like a memory, but she couldn't tell if it was actually a memory or if her brain manufactured it to try to fill in one of the many blanks in [name]'s brain.

"[name]-san?" Atsushi got the (hair colour) haired detective's attention after a few times of saying her name. "Are you alright?" The three had already arrived at the train station and were about to get their tickets.

[name] blinked a few times before she nodded slowly. "Yes... I'm fine." She said, though she still was quite distracted. The young detective decided to not question any further, for now, at least, as the three boarded their train.

The ride between the three was silent. Ranpo was preoccupied with his Ramune marble, Atsushi was amazed by how Ranpo didn't know anything, and [name] was still going over her dream.

"[last name]..." She muttered to herself, though she accidentally spoke out loud when she thought she had only thought it.

"What's that?" Atsushi asked as he turned his head to look at [name].

"....Nothing."

~[{}]~

Atsushi, Ranpo, and [name] stood at the crime scene. Atsushi stared at the dead body of the woman who had been killed while Ranpo talked with the policeman who said the ADA wasn't allowed to take the case.

'Ranpo's intellect is unmatched...' [name] thought, her hands in her pockets as she stared up at the sky with dull eyes and a flat mouth. 'Even though this case isn't the hardest he's come across, it's still a difficult one. I know he'll figure it out but... why do I feel like I know the outcome...?' She then rolled her head to the side so that she could see the young police officer, Junsa Sugimoto, and stared at him with her infamous unsettling stare. 'I haven't even looked at the body for more than a minute, and I already have a hunch... no, this is stronger than a hunch...'

"I'll catch up with you guys later." [name] suddenly spoke, catching Atsushi and Ranpo's attention easily. "Tell me how this turns out later. And tell Dazai I said hello." She said as she started walking away from the scene.