Chapter 263: Your Majesty, Are You Out of Your Mind?

Bai Xiangiu's father had studied the Classics, and had always been a bookworm. He never could understand this drive to climb the social ladder. But his wife and daughter threw such a tantrum that finally, Bai Xiangxiu was released to go to the Prince Li Manor. That's how it started. But no one foresaw the consequences.

This gentleman must be Sir An. Why is he dropping by so suddenly? She soon found out, as Bai Rong'er charged in with two old biddies, harping at him, "Sir An, you mustn't be so impetuous!"

As she went in, Bai Rong'er took note of the face of everyone present. Although scared, she thought back to what that tavern elder sister had said: What good is it letting your elder sister play matchmaker? You might as well put on a good show in front of everyone. That way, Sir Song will know your elder sister's true character and will be moved by your "justice above all" behavior. You'll be accorded with utmost honor when he comes to ask for your hand in marriage. Bai Rong'er was naïve and believed every word without reservation, and so had sacrificed ties of blood for self assumed righteousness.

Bai Xiangxiu delicately pressed down on her temple with her finger. "Carry on with the ceremony," she commanded the matchmaker. Her voice wasn't all that loud, but it fell on everyone's ears like velvet over steel. One had to take a moment to remind that Bai Xiangxiu had actually commanded troops on the battlefield. So when she spoke with a certain tone of voice, the matchmaker unconsciously leaped to obey, "Of course. The first bow is to the heavens and earth..."

The corner of Long Heng's mouth jerked up, as if he hadn't seen the new arrivals, and he pulled Bai Xiangxiu down and knelt in obeisance.

Bai Rong'er and Sir An were shocked. This wasn't how they'd previously imagined the situation would develop. Wasn't it said that if a man hears this kind of talk, he'd seek more information and prolong the wedding? What were they doing, going through with the ceremony!? They were showing complete disregard for the newcomers! These two conspirators were both young and inexperienced, and so were completely nonplussed at being treated like air.

Soon enough, Bai Rong'er was distraught. While everyone's attention was elsewhere, she kicked Sir An to make him seek help from the seated Old Madame.

Unfortunately, a hand descended on Sir An's shoulder right at that moment. It held him fast, preventing him from walking forward to seek his justice from the old madame. When he turned to look at the offending party, the sight of a finely dressed gentleman greeted him. However, the latter's expression was as cold as a winter's night, sending a chill down Sir An's spine. Bai Rong'er however, was instantly smitten. She'd seen Song Jiaoyue at last! She hadn't expected him to be wearing a different outfit for this occasion, but it only added to his charm.

On the other hand, Sir An was no woman to be entranced by a man's looks. He paused briefly, subdued. Yet, he still turned to the old madame, "Old Madame, Prince Li, I come from the An family. I am the fiancé of the Bai family's eldest daughter, Bai Xiangxiu. But it seems that today, she has broken faith to wed another. Mayhaps this was something you were not made aware of, but it still remains a violation of propriety. As such, I request your consideration in..."

"The second bow is to your parents."

Bai Xiangxiu was almost afraid to look up at the old madame during her bow. Would the old madame suddenly take charge of the situation and announce that there was no need to continue with the ceremony?

But the old madame didn't move at Sir An's supplication. Not one blink. Bai Xiangxiu felt her entire body relax. Unhindered by the charade, the ceremony continued in solemn silence.

"The third bow to each other as husband and wife."

This was the last bow. Let's see who can stop us now.