Chapter 5: Useless

Bump. Ba-dump. Bump. Ba-dump. Bump. Ba-du—

Silence.

Mitch's POV

Mitch stood, still leaning on Jerome, in silence as Adam took a deep breath.

"I-I saw Jason. He showed him to me... We need to hurry!" His last few words came out a bit frantic, and Mitch could see his wide pale eyes since his glasses weren't on his face. He shuddered a bit at their ghostly, glazed look.

Seto looked a little startled. "Are you sure it was him? Perhaps it was Skybrine trying to set a tr-" Adam shook his head quickly.

"N-No it wasn't. I-I know what I saw. It was real. I-I... I could feel it." Jerome moved a little once Adam finished speaking and Mitch stumbled. He would have fallen if not for the fact that Toxic was right behind him.

She grunted as she helped him to steady himself, almost toppling over under the taller boys sudden weight. Mitch glanced over at her, giving her a grateful look, before he put a hand on the table.

Mitch had to admit that he hated this. Who wouldn't? He could still stand by himself of course, but after a while, he would need to lean on something to take some of the weight off of his leg.

I'm even more worthless than Adam like this... He thought sourly to himself. Sure, Adam couldn't see, but at least he could walk correctly. Besides, once Adam gets used to being blind, he'll be able to move around no problem.

"-not a good idea." Mitch heard as Jerome finished his statement, and he realized he had zoned out. He glanced at Seto and noticed his frustrated expression. He'd been practically forced to take charge, and you could tell he rarely slept. He had dark bags under his eyes, and his hair was a bit unkept.

"I know it isn't Jerome... but if we have a chance to at least get one of them back..." Seto had a haunted look in his eyes, and Mitch realized just how much the disappearance of their friends really bothered him. Seto gazed back at Adam before pushing himself to his feet and nodding. "It's decided. I'll start the journey to the Nether tomorrow."

Jerome's eyes widened. "Seto wait. It's dangerous, for all we know it's a trap." He reminded him, and Seto sighed.

"I know, but Adam's right. It's been almost three months, and this is the first lead we've had to where they could be." He didn't meet Jerome's eyes, and Jerome let out an exasperated sigh.

"Then at least take a few of us with you. It'll be safer together." He protested and Seto looked up suddenly.

"I don't want any of you to get h-" Jerome raised a hand and cut Seto off.

"Like I said, we're safer together." He repeated, and the sorcerer sighed.

"Fine... get Taylor and Ian... They can come with us..." Mitch's brows furrowed when his name wasn't said.

"What about me?" He questioned, looking from Jerome to Seto. Seto gave him a sympathetic look, similar to one you'd give a lost puppy.

"I think it's best if you stayed here with Quentin and the others. Besides, we don't want to draw to much attention to ourselves with a large group." Seto spoke gently, and Jerome looked at the ground, not wanting to meet Mitch's eyes as the other boy looked at him for support.

"Come on Jerome. I can go. One more person won't be any louder, and plus, I'm the best archer you know; so if we got into a fight, I'd be able to help." At first Jerome didn't say anything, but when he did speak, his voice was quiet.

"Seto's right... you should stay here where it's safe..." Jerome avoided Mitch's eyes as his partners eyes widened in disbelief. They didn't want him to stay here just do he'd stay safe; they didn't think he could defend himself. They thought he'd slow them down.

They thought he was useless.

Mitch gritted his teeth, frustration flashing in his hazel eyes. "Oh and I assume while I'm stuck here you're going to just let the blind guy waltz out of here with you?" He growled, anger boiling up inside his chest, making it tight and a bit hard for him to breath.

He didn't wait for their responses before he stormed out of the small house as fast as he could, tears threatening to fall as he did.