Chapter 7: The Journey Begins

Everything hurt. 
Every second it felt like pieces of his skin were being peeled away. 
His head hung limply, the pain tiring. Keeping him at bay.

-------

Toxic's P.O.V.

Toxic sat by herself--as she had since the "incident". She'd long since ditched the tail, the pain of the loss of who had given them to her was too much. Her teasing sarcasm had turned into a new anger, and her hostility was never ending. Who knew what she'd do without her other half--Justin. He spoke to her often, but he was the only one. Others felt awkward, especially Seto, who knew that she blamed him for the death of her best friend. 

That's why she was surprised when he himself approached her. 

She heard footsteps growing closer, and soon enough someone's shadow fell over her. "Not now Justin." Justin, however, wasn't the one to reply. 

"Would you like to come?" She looked up, blinking, to be greeted by the face of Seto, who was looking down at her with a neutral expression. In his eyes though, she could see the little flash of guilt before it disappeared. You'd better feel guilty. 

"Where are you going?" While her voice was monotone, she felt a little bit of an unfamiliar prick of curiosity. The old Toxic's need for adventure. Seto paused before Ian responded. 

"We're going to go get the others." The way Ian said it and the way he glanced over at Seto, Toxic thought he might've added on a 'finally' if they'd been alone. Seto closed his mouth, before nodding. 

"You want me to come with?" Toxic was surprised they trusted her with a weapon anywhere around Seto. She didn't exactly trust herself not to shoot him through the chest. Seto cleared his throat, this time he himself responded. 

"We need a good marksman." Toxic felt a bit of mild confusion, glancing over his shoulder at Mitch, who was speaking with Jerome, steam nearly flowing out of his ears. She opened her mouth to question why they not take him, but Seto cut her off. "Mitch can't come." Her gaze shifted back to Seto and Ian. She didn't bother to ask what she could get out of it, that little prick of a need for adventure already pressuring her to say 'yes'. What really made persuaded her however, was the idea of revenge. If they happened to engage with Skybrine, she wouldn't hesitate. 

"When do we leave?" She sighed, standing. That was her way of saying 'yes', and Ian tossed her a bow, which she caught, before holding out a quiver of arrows for her as Seto spoke. 

"Now." 

----

They trudged along the trail, heading north towards the messenger's village. They'd left well over four hours earlier, though they'd been slightly delayed by Mitch's last ditch attempt to join them on their expedition. They'd noticed about fifteen minutes down the road when Mitch had accidentally tripped into the clearing and alerted them. Toxic had almost shot him. 

By now, the sun was starting to go down. Although they could all fight, Seto had been continuously pressuring everyone to keep moving so they could reach the village before the moon rose. 

No one had spoken for well over a half-hour when Ian broke the silence. "We should stop here." He was the first to suggest stopping, and when he did Seto barely paused, instead continuing forward. Jerome and Quentin however, stopped with Ian, looking after Toxic and Seto, who were still walking. Toxic too paused when she realized they had however, and after she did, Seto turned around, halting in his trek. 

"The village is to far. We won't get there before night falls, Seto. It's best we stop here and prepare for the night." Jerome was already letting his bag slip from his shoulder, and Seto sighed.