Everything Has Changed

**A/N: So sorry that the last chapter was a bit short, but sometimes it's hard for me to know where to end the chapters. Hopefully this one will be longer. Things are about to get chaotic for our boys. Oh and I'm not sure if I said it already, but I do not own anything from supernatural, those belong to their respective owners. Though we can all agree I know how to treat the boys right :P. Storyline/plot and other characters belong to me. Enjoy! <3 Stacey**

0-0-0-0-0

          “… I know I would if I were free—only I don’t want to be free. My dear, this quite upset me, and I feel I cannot write of happiness just at once, after telling you of it; and I don’t wish to tell of the number three till it can be all happy. Ever your loving, Lucy.” The sound of the sliding door and light footsteps brought Dean to a stop at the end of the page. He looked up to see Jody standing just inside the room.

            “Sorry to interrupt, but visiting hours are almost over. It’s time for you to leave for the night Dean. But don’t worry, I’m going to be checking in on him throughout the night, and I’ll call if anything happens,” Jody remarked, moving to check Castiel’s vitals while Dean was still there so he knew everything was stable.

            “Thanks Jody. I’ll say goodnight to Cass and get out of your hair. Can I have a few minutes alone?” Dean asked as he tucked the book into the pocket of his leather jacket.

            “That’s no problem at all, Dean. I’ll go check on my other patients to give you some privacy.” Jody smiled and left the room again.

            Dean turned back to Castiel and brushed his cheek. “Hey Cass, I’m sorry, but I gotta go. Visiting hours are over and I’m not allowed to stay. But Sam and I will be back first thing in the morning. Don’t wake up without me, okay? I want to be the first thing you see when you open your eyes. I love you so much.” Dean stood and leaned over, pressing a kiss to Castiel’s forehead. “Goodnight buddy; see you in the morning.”

            Dean pulled out his cellphone as he made his way back to the elevators. “Hey Sammy, it’s me. Yeah, visiting hours are over. Okay, see you soon.” He ended the call and pocketed his phone again. He stepped out the front doors of the hospital and waited for Sam to pick him up.

0-0-0-0-0

            Dean was startled awake by the shrill ringing of his cell phone. He reached blindly for it, still half asleep. “Hello?” He growled into it as he brought it to his ear.

            “Dean, it’s Jody from the hospital,” She replied.

            Dean sat up in bed, now fully awake. “Is Cass okay? Did he wake up?” Dean asked frantically. He got up from the bed and began to search for his jeans. Sam stirred in the other bed but didn’t wake up.

            “The swelling in his brain got worse after you left and Dr. Collins took Castiel up for emergency surgery. You and your brother should get down here right away. Ask the nurse at the front desk to show you to the surgical waiting room. I need to get back to the O.R.,” Jody said before hanging up. Dean stood frozen in the middle of the hotel room, his jeans in his hand.

            “Dean?” Sam wondered groggily, rubbing sleep from his eyes. “It’s 3 in the morning. Who was that on the phone?”

            “Nurse Wilson,” Dean said flatly.

            “What did she say? Is Cass awake?” Sam kicked the blanket away and started getting dressed. “Dean?”

            “He’s not awake yet,” Dean muttered, shaking his head.

            “Well then what is it? What’s going on Dean?” Sam demanded, getting up from his bed. He crossed the small room in two strides and stood in front of Dean, searching his brother’s eyes for any sign he heard Sam’s words.

            “They … they took him in for surgery. She said the swelling got worse after we left. We have to go.” A single tear slid down Dean’s cheek as he spoke, the phone still up to his ear.

            Sam took the phone from Dean and tossed it onto the empty bed. “Dean, you gotta to snap out of this. Castiel needs us to be there for him. This isn’t the time to have a breakdown.” Sam grabbed Dean’s shoulders and shook him.

            Dean sighed. “You’re right Sammy. I just didn’t think this would happen so soon. I mean, it’s only been five hours since I left him.”

            “I know Dean, I know. Hurry up and finish getting dressed so we can head back over,” Sam said. He watched Dean get dressed, his movements stiff and automatic. He wanted to say something when Dean grabbed his jacket without putting on a shirt, but didn’t want to embarrass him.

            Sam followed Dean out of the room, closing the door behind them. He wasn’t quite sure what they would find when they got there, but he only hoped it was good.

 0-0-0-0-0

           Dean pulled the Impala to a stop in a parking space near the front of the hospital. He hadn’t said a single word to Sam the whole way over, but then again, Sam didn’t feel much like talking himself. They exited the car and walked through the front door. There was a young brunette woman sitting at the front desk, typing away on her computer and nursing an energy drink.

            “Good morning gentleman,” She said with a tired smile. It wasn’t often she got people coming in at 3 in the morning, so whatever the reason they were there, it wasn’t good.         

        “Good morning … Amy,” Sam replied, leaning in to read her nametag. “Could you show us to the surgical waiting room? Nurse Wilson said you’d steer us in the right direction."

        “You must be the Winchesters. Jody called and said you were on your way. What you’re gonna want to do is go down the hall to your left all the way to the end to the elevators by the vending machines and take it up to the 10th floor. Check in with Nurse Parker at the desk so he knows to notify Dr. Collins that you’re here.” Amy pointed out. “There’s also a lounge area upstairs with coffee and cookies if you get hungry.”           

        “Thanks Amy,” Sam said before turning to catch up with Dean, who was already halfway down the hall. Sam was thankful that there were no other people around this early in the morning, because the two of them looked pretty psychotic running down the hallway. They stopped at the elevator bay and waited for the elevator to arrive.

        “I can’t believe this is happening Sammy. I want to wake up from this nightmare. I just want to wake up back in the motel with Cass standing there watching me sleep. I want that back,” Dean muttered.

        “Dean … he’ll get better. You gotta remember that. You’ve got to believe he’s going to get better.” Sam hooked an arm around Dean’s shoulders and led him from the elevator when it arrived at the 10th floor. They approached the desk yet again.

        “We’re Jimmy Winchester’s family. Nurse Wilson knows we’re coming.” Dean rattled off their information, just hoping to get it over with as soon as possible. All he wanted to do was curl up in a ball and pray for Castiel’s recovery.

        “I’ll let Nurse Wilson know you’ve arrived.” The nurse turned back to the chart in his hand without another word to the boys.

        Sam and Dean shuffled over to the corner of the waiting room and sank down on two of the couches. Dean pulled his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around them. Sam rested his elbows on his knees and buried his face in his hands. They were in for a long and sleepless night.

0-0-0-0-0

**So there you have it! I know I promised a longer chapter, but this was the most natural place to stop the chapter. So because it's a short chapter (again) I will post another chapter tonight.**