Lost

**A/N: Here is the next installment of NWIA. I'm sorry that it's been so long since I posted last, I've been dealing with health issues these past few weeks that make it hard to stare at a computer screen. But I'm back and better now. :) <3 Stacey**

        “Dean?” Samara began as she wrote down the numbers in Castiel’s chart.

            “Yeah, what’s up Samara?” Dean picked up where Samara had left off, his broad fingers massaging Cass’s muscles.

            “Have you ever thought about pursuing a career in the medical field? You have a great bedside manner and I think you’d really excel. You could help a lot of people.”

            “If I wasn’t a hunter, then I think I would. But since there’s always going to be supernatural creatures running amok in the world, then my plate is pretty full.” Dean shrugged his shoulders. If he had his way, he wouldn’t step within 1000 feet of a hospital for the rest of his life.

            “I understand. You help people in your own way, and that is all any of us can ask for these days. Gadreel will be in shortly to change Castiel’s IV.” Samara smiled and left the room, the curtain fluttering in her wake. If there was one thing the boys could always count on, it was that Samara knew how to make an entrance and exit.

            “I can’t believe Castiel is improving so fast! I thought it would be at least a few months before the possibility of him waking up was plausible,” Sam voiced with wonder. It seemed as though the Angels had been more helpful than they thought they could be.

            “I know Sammy. I can’t believe it either. But I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth, if you know what I mean. Things can change on a dime, so we just have to keep thinking positive and keep doing what we’ve been doing.” Dean stroked Castiel’s cheek with a soft smile. When Dr. Collins had removed the ventilator the day before, Dean could barely contain his excitement.

            “Now that Castiel’s off the ventilator and improving, why don’t we head to a hotel and grab a shower and a nap?” Sam asked, standing up and stretching his arms above his head.

            “I don’t know man. He could wake up any day now, and I don’t want to miss it.” Dean shrugged his shoulders as his gaze fell to the sheet in front of him. He could feel his cheeks burn red in embarrassment.

            “You don’t have to explain anything to me, Dean. I just thought I’d put the suggestion out there. I had a feeling you’d say no anyway.” Sam chuckled.

            There was a gentle knock on the doorframe. Sam turned and smiled at the young woman standing there.

            “Hello boys. I’m so sorry to disturb you, but Dr. Collins asked me to come and speak with you.” The woman took a few steps into the room, stopping at the foot of the bed.

            “And you are?” Sam asked, quirking an eyebrow as he took in the woman’s semi-casual appearance. She couldn’t have been more than 21 years old at the most.

            “My name is Lyndsey Masters; I’m a home healthcare nurse. I’m here to speak with you about caring for your brother once he is well enough to be discharged. There’s no way of knowing the exact extent of brain damage until he wakes up, but it’s safe to say that Jimmy will have to relearn quite a bit,” Lyndsey explained.

            “But we’re not from around here. We have no steady place to stay for him,” Sam remarked.

            “That’s no problem at all. Dr. Collins made us aware of that, and we have established a safe place for you to stay while Jimmy rehabilitates. Our connections with the Ronald McDonald House, which usually provides families of sick children a place to stay, have secured a house for the three of you so that Jimmy can receive the care he needs.” Lyndsey smiled warmly.