Beauty Of The Dark

**Here's yet another chapter! This one is probably the longest of any that I've posted! Hope you enjoy. <3 Stacey**

            “Sam? Dean? Wake up.” A voice called to them from somewhere outside of their dreams. Sam was the first to rise from unconsciousness, and he straightened up from where he’d fallen over during sleep.

            “Dr. Collins? What time is it?” Sam asked as he looked out the window and saw that the sun had come up. He looked over and saw that Dean was still sleeping fitfully. Tear tracks stained Dean’s cheeks and his brow was furrowed as he muttered under his breath. As much as Sam wanted to let Dean catch up on sleep, he knew Dean would want to be awake to hear how Castiel’s surgery went.

            Sam leaned over and shook Dean’s leg gently. “Hey Dean, wake up. It’s morning.”

            Dean came awake with a start, fresh tears falling down his face as the nightmare planted itself firmly in the forefront of his mind. He tried shaking the images away but they weren’t going anywhere. He looked up and saw Dr. Collins standing in front of them, a heavy air of tiredness hanging over her.

            “Come with me,” She said simply. Dean and Sam shot to their feet, following closely behind Dr. Collins as she led them to a small private room off the main waiting area. “Have a seat.” She motioned to two chairs across from her as she sat down in her own.

            “H-how is he? Is he going to be okay?” Dean stuttered, wringing his hands.

            Dr. Collins sighed before speaking. “Shortly after you left, Jimmy’s heart rate and blood pressure skyrocketed. We know from experience with traumatic brain injuries that these are both signs of a sudden increase in intracranial pressure. We took him in for emergency surgery to remove a section of skull to allow the pressure a place to go. It was more difficult than usual because of the skull fractures, but nothing we couldn’t handle. The procedure was successful, and we’ve already seen the pressure stabilize. It hasn’t gotten any worse, but also hasn’t decreased yet.

            “So he’s okay? We can see him now?” Dean wondered.

            “There’s more I need to tell you. Jimmy’s heart stopped twice on the table. The first time we were able to get his heart restarted no problem, but the second time it took almost 7 minutes before we were able to get a steady rhythm. We won’t know the extent of damage to his brain until he wakes up.” Dr. Collins finished explaining everything and waited for it to sink in. “I can take you to see him now.”

            Dr. Collins led the way out of the small room and down the hallway. The nurses they passed by all stared at the two giant men in plaid and leather. The doctor had to shoo away more than one nurse who tried to follow them. She made a mental note to make sure the room had a curtain to ensure their privacy and dignity.

            “I’m sorry about the nurses. They’re young and stupid and fresh out of school. We’ve already had to have a conduct class this month and it’s only the 7th. Please don’t think that everyone here at Harborview is like that.” Dr. Collins waved her hands in the air in exasperation as she led the boys to a room at the end of the hall.

            “Don’t worry Dr. Collins. We know you’re not like that. We’re used to having women stare. We just want to thank you for everything you’ve done for us; explaining everything so simply so that we understand it.” Sam smiled as they stopped outside the door.

            “It’s no problem at all Sam. You can stay here with Jimmy all day. Nurse Wilson should be starting her shift in a few hours, and she’ll check in on you when she gets here.” Dr. Collins opened the door for the boys and then turned and walked away.