Chapter 9

Before I left to find my gate in Toronto, Shawn insists we exchange numbers so that I could let him know I arrived in New York safely and so that I can call him when I get back so he can pick me up.

I've just landed at LaGuardia and am waiting for my taxi, so I text him. I feel weird doing this, but considering all he did, I have to thank him.

Me: This is Jessica. Just got to NY. Thank you again.

Me: Let me know how much the ticket was so I can repay you when I get back.

I'm in the taxi headed to my Nana's house when I get the ping indicating a text.

Shawn: I hope your flight was comfortable. Take care. Text me the details of your return flight when you know them.

He ignored my request for the ticket amount. Why am I not surprised? My flight was very comfortable considering he'd purchased a first class ticket.

The next few days are a blur. There's a service and burial for Nana. Her townhouse in Brooklyn is the meeting place for all the friends and family who come by to pay their respects. We're inundated with food and flowers. Being surrounded by people definitely distracts me from my grief, which is a blessing.

I had told my mom about Shawn taking me to the airport and buying my plane ticket when I arrived. She was surprised that my neighbor would be so generous but also extremely grateful for his kindness towards me.

Because of this, she insists that I bring him a bag full of incredible baked goods from some of the best bakeries in NY. These were gifts from people who stopped by and way more than my family could take back to Quebec with them.

I decided not to burden Shawn with picking me up at the airport, so I take a cab to the condo. He'd already done so much and I did not want to take advantage of his generosity. It's mid-morning on Sunday. I let myself into my place and set everything down. I feel empty and miss having my family around me. After I unpack, I make myself a cup of tea and text Shawn.

Me: I'm back. I have something for you.

He immediately responds.

Shawn: You are back as in across the hall?

Me: Yes.

Shawn: ???

Shawn: I thought I was picking you up.

As his last text pops up, there's a knock at my door. I open it and Shawn walks in.

"How did it go?" he asks, touching me on my arm.

I tell him briefly about the service as I make him some tea. We sit down at my L shaped kitchen island.

"I owe you for the ticket," I say quietly, after I am done telling him how everything went.

"It was nothing," he says, and then takes a drink of tea.

I see this going in the exact same direction as the gift card, so I decide to let it drop for now. He's obviously as stubborn as me and getting in an argument about what was obviously a very sweet gesture seems crass.

"This is for you," I say, getting up and grabbing the bag of gourmet baked goods. "My mom wanted you to have these."

He peeks inside the bag and smiles. "Wow! Can we try something now?"

Before I can answer, he pulls out a chocolate babka. I move to the other side of the island and get out a cutting board and a knife and slice two large slices (because Nana would be ashamed if I was stingy with something so delicious.) I put each slice on a plate and sit back down.