Chapter 30

My internship ended in May and grad school doesn't start until August, so I actually have the summer off. It's kind of like being a kid again.

Shawn and I decide to go to Quebec in early June for his first visit to my family's home. My childhood home is in a nice section on the outskirts of the city. It's close enough to the hustle and bustle of Quebec City to not really be a suburb, but it's an actual house with a big yard and a pool, so you don't feel like you are in the city when you are there.

Because we both have some free time right now, we drive from Toronto to Quebec instead of flying. We stop in Pickering for one night, since it's on the way. We typically see Shawn's family at least once a month. Often we go see them on Sunday to spend the day and then have dinner. Sometimes they come into Toronto and we'll cook for them. I've gotten very close to his family and am totally at ease with them.

"Are you sure it's okay that we're sharing your room?" I ask after we've carried the luggage upstairs.

"Jess, my parents know that you pretty much live with me at this point," he says. "I think they know what we do."

"I know, but still. Knowing we are doing it and actually being okay with the possibility of us doing it in their home are two different things."

"It's not like we'll be doing it anyway, right? You are weird about that," he teases.

"But they don't know that," I say.

"Do you want me to sleep on the couch so that your reputation is preserved?"

"No. It's fine. But I guarantee my parents put us in separate bedrooms at my house."

He laughs, "Yeah, because you probably asked them to!"

"Shut up."

"Just curious...when you are married, will you still feel this way?" he queries.

"I don't know. I've never been married."

"Fair enough. I'm kind of curious, though. When you and whatshisname we're together, where did you do it if your parents' houses were off limits?" he asks.

I make a face. "That's a rather personal question."

"Sorry," he says, but he's not sorry.

"If you must know, David- and I know you know his name- and I had lots of car sex and sex at parties."

Shawn frowns. "I now wish I hadn't asked. I'm picturing you in the car with someone and it bugs me."

I shrug. "Maybe I'll take you for a drive when we're in Quebec."

After our quick visit with his family, we're on the road again. We take turns picking the music, stop at two Tim Horton's for coffee and food, and end up at my parents' door in the late afternoon.

My mom throws the door open and beckons us inside. My dad is apparently still at work. Elsie is in the foyer waiting to greet us.

After everyone hugs, and my mom makes sure our drive went well, I walk Shawn up the stairs to the guest bedroom. It is next to mine and we share a Jack-and-Jill bathroom. His room used to be Elsie's until the two of us sharing a bathroom became really problematic. She moved to a room down the hall.

When we're alone in his room he pulls me into a hug. "I always kind of suspected you were a rich girl, but this pretty much confirms it."

"My dad does really well with real estate and my mom's decorating business is pretty successful," I explain.

"Any chance we can sleep together while we're here? Just sleep, of course," he asks.

"Maybe," I say.