Chapter 29

The last few months of my internship fly by. I feel like I've learned a lot, and I'm proud of the work I did. The Renaissance Hotel is throwing a goodbye party for all of the interns on the evening of our last day. It's not super formal, but it is going to be an upscale event in one of the banquet rooms.

Unfortunately, I have to attend alone.

Shawn's album dropped, and he's been in Asia doing a week of promotion there. His second single is about to be released and they are trying to build up the anticipation. He's due to return tomorrow afternoon.

The album is wonderful. It's more soulful, with even some jazzy undertones. It's definitely a divergence from the pop music he's produced in the past. The reviews are mixed. Some people seem to think he should stick with what he's always done best; others think he's showing depth and growth. At least everyone concurs that musically he's advanced. This album features some amazing guitar solos, all his own.

I'm at home getting ready for the party. I'm wearing a simple low cut black sleeveless dress that falls above the knee with some classic black pumps. I have my hair up. As I am putting the aquamarine pendant that Shawn gave me around my neck, my phone dings.

Shawn: You at your party yet?

Me: Just finishing getting ready.

I take a mirror selfie and send it to him.

Shawn: DAMN

Me: My Uber's out front. Text you later?

Shawn: Yes. Have fun. But not too much fun. I don't one of those statistics nerds stealing my girl.

Me: Hey, brains are sexy

Shawn: And yet you still love me

The party is in full swing by the time I get there. It's basically all the interns (plus their dates if they have them), the executives of the hotel, and everyone else who works in the marketing and promotions departments. That amounts to probably 50 people.

I find some of the people I've become friendly with and join them. A waiter comes by and takes my drink order. Because Shawn's on my mind, I order what he often makes me at his place: a whiskey ginger. There are waitstaff walking around with platters of hors d'oeuvres. I take one and look around the party, only partly listening to what the person next to me is saying. I look over towards the entrance and a very handsome man walks in.

My man.

"Excuse me," I say to the group as I hurry towards Shawn.

"What are you doing here?" I say, entering his strong arms.

"The last two interviews yesterday got bumped up so I was done a day early. I called my travel agent, and she got me on the next flight."

"Aren't you exhausted?" I ask.

"Yeah. But I can handle a party. I got a room at the hotel so that I could come straight here from the airport, shower, and change," he says.

I did notice how delicious he smelled. Certainly not like someone traveling for almost 20 hours.

"So when you were texting me, you were in Toronto?"

He smiles. "I was upstairs, about to jump in the shower."

"Have I ever told you that you are the best?" I ask as we walk hand in hand back to the people I'd been standing with.

"No. Tell me."

"You are the best."

The waiter shows up with my drink right as we join the crowd. I hand it to Shawn who needs it more than I do, and I order another.