SIX

"oh, archiekins, it's always the time for my sass."
chapter six — slow and hazy

Dashing to the Four Seasons as the sun began to rise was not how Debbie envisioned her morning

Dashing to the Four Seasons as the sun began to rise was not how Debbie envisioned her morning. As Betty practically dragged her by the arm to the hotel lobby, her cousin ran to one of the elevators, just narrowly avoiding an oncoming old couple, muttering a small apology as she did so. There, Betty anxiously punched in a floor number, and looked at the screen depicting their floor number. Debbie looked at her, bewildered, expecting an answer about why she was rudely awakened and pushed into a car.

Betty awkwardly smiled, fiddling with her fingers and balancing on her feet. "I can explain—"

"You better." She grumbled, crossing her arms. "I was planning on spending my morning watching the rest of Stranger Things while eating some cronuts, but sure, you totally could've just dragged me into the Four Seasons. What a lovely way to spend the day!"

Rolling her eyes, Betty ignored her sarcasm and opened her mouth to start, but was interrupted by the soft bell of the elevator. Again, she grabbed Debbie's arm and ran, despite her protests and occasional screams.

Suddenly though, her cousin stopped at seeing an open door. A soft whisper escaped her lips, "Oh my god..." By this time, Debbie's interest had piqued, and she in turn, curiously neared the door. Betty opened the door, and they mouths dropped as they saw none other than Nick St. Clair in a bathrobe, looking even more sleazy after what happened last night. Debbie felt her blood boiling even as she looked at him.

Why was her cousin so hell-bent on seeing this disgusting piece of trash?

Nick, with a bored expression, turned towards them, scowling. "What? Here to finish what your little friends started?"

"You're alive." Betty stated. At this, Nick slammed his knife down, fully facing them this time.

"Yeah. You tell Veronica she's lucky I'm not pressing charges." Clenching her fists, Debbie resisted the urge to punch his black eye once again. Internally, 'She should be pressing charges on you instead, you spoiled brat!'

Nick's parents entered the room, curious as to who they were and why they were in their suite, one of whom was sweaty and breathing heavily, a furious look evident in her appearance. Betty spoke up, "You're not safe here, okay? Any of you. You need to —"

Sheriff Keller and a fellow officer knocked on the door, disrupting Betty. "Nicholas St. Clair?"

After that, everything was a blur, but all Debbie could think of, was her cousin, who had been acting so suspicious lately, warning Nick, despite his despicable actions to their friends. Now, she needed the answers more than ever or she would probably explode.

As they walked home, neither of them knew who would talk next. Finally, Debbie decided to make the first move, about to speak up, when she was interrupted by Betty's ominous (and creepy) ringtone. Betty silently pleaded with her to stay quiet and she merely nodded, and her cousin accepted the call.