THIRTEEN

"You know Sweetie Pie, this has probably been one of the best days I've had in a long time. I feel like an actual teenager."
chapter thirteen — another encounter

That supposed retirement party for FP? Guess what, turns out he was going back into business with the Serpents! Debbie fumed as she crossed her arms, refusing to even acknowledge Betty, who had tears streaming unashamedly down her face

That supposed retirement party for FP? Guess what, turns out he was going back into business with the Serpents! Debbie fumed as she crossed her arms, refusing to even acknowledge Betty, who had tears streaming unashamedly down her face. She didn't care if her and Jughead had broken up. She was more furious that her cousin did a fucking strip tease in front of middle-aged gang members. Betty sighed, "Debbie—"

"Don't even talk to me. Please," Debbie swallowed the lump in her throat. "Did you even consider the consequences of what you did? What if someone had filmed it? What if you got hurt? What if—"

"Well, nothing happened! I'm perfectly fine!"

"We both know you're not!" A silence engulfed the both of them after that. "I know what happened with Chuck. This? It's not okay. Whatever you have going on, you need to stop it and learn how to actually deal with it, instead of dressing up like some BDSM junkie and talk to someone. You're breaking my heart, Betty."

Betty sighed. Neither of them talked to each other until they got home. Debbie went ahead to her room, while Betty was chastised for what she did. She could hear the fury emerging from her aunt and she wished Betty would at least learn her lesson. Debbie sheepishly took out the sunglasses from her bag and blankly stared at it, deciding to put it by her desk in the meantime. Something else slipped out of her desk, though.

It was the number of that Toni girl, the bartender they had talked to for FP's party. Hastily, she punched the numbers into her phone and reminded herself to call the girl in the morning. Lord knows what she's probably thinking about the Coopers right now.

Debbie badly needed some rest after the chaos that ensued that day. Practically jumping onto her bed felt like pure heaven as she melted like putty in the hands of her comforter. Glancing at her phone though, she had a strong urge to ask Toni for Sweet Pea's number.

Nah. Debbie thought as she finally drifted off.

Christmas carols played in the background as Debbie propped her feet up on the linoleum table and watched as Jughead wrote a new entry onto his book, snorting occasionally on a few cheesy lines that he had written, to which he responded with a sharp frown. Taking a sip of a snickerdoodle milkshake this time, Debbie savoured the taste of the cool beverage and leaned back, inspecting the jolly cheer around Riverdale, despite a serial killer on the loose.

But hey, whatever lets them sleep at night.

Archie and Fred had bursted through the door with a magnificent tree, and both she and Jughead looked up. "What do you say, Pop? Is it okay?"

"The best tree yet." Pop, as warm as hot chocolate, replied.

After a brief discussion, Fred had gone back to selling trees, while Archie immediately headed over to them. Jughead had closed his laptop. "You guys gonna stay in town for break?"