TEN

"see you around, cooper."
chapter ten — don't do alcohol, kids

The cold was unforgiving and relentlessly piercing Sweet Pea's skin as he slowly cruised around the quarry, having just finished a party near the Whyte Wyrm

The cold was unforgiving and relentlessly piercing Sweet Pea's skin as he slowly cruised around the quarry, having just finished a party near the Whyte Wyrm. Fangs and Toni tried to persuade him to extend his stay at the alcohol fueled get together, with him refusing but not without taking a few boxes with him for the ride. He had hoped to take a nice, quiet walk around the quarry, maybe reflect on the stars, or some shit most people would say. He mostly just wanted to think.

With all the chaos surrounding his life, he decided that he deserved it.

Seeing Debbie a couple of measly weeks ago (not that he was counting) shook him and nearly tore him apart. She was way different from what he had imagined, the image of the little girl who was so nice to him quickly fading away the moment she sassed him. He kinda liked it though, and smirked at the memory. Sweet Pea always wondered how she'd react. Finding out that the tiny boy from the other side of the tracks grew into a giant would probably give her a run for her money. He vividly remembered her carrying him around on her back, attempting to appease his insecurities about his height.

Debbie had changed.

Sweet Pea carefully parked his motorcycle by a tree, then grabbing some bottles for the journey. Screw it, he thought to himself. He grabbed the whole box, and finally satisfied, went along.

The quarry was usually peaceful at night, with the exception of a few Ghoulies occasionally getting lost to succumb to their druggie tendencies. He narrowly avoided a couple making out against a tree, disgusted. "Get a room!"

"We're in the middle of nowhere, idiot!"

Sweet Pea rolled his eyes, but kept on walking to his spot, where he assured himself that no one would come to bother him. As he went closer, though, it seemed that someone else had taken his place. Sighing, Sweet Pea prepared himself to fight, just in case this rude intruder decided to attack him out of drunken fury. Huffing, he yelled from a distance. "You should get out of here."

"Screw you!"

Eyebrows furrowed in anger, Sweet Pea angrily marched over to whoever had the nerve to sit on his territory and—"Debbie?"

Debbie looked up at him, mascara streaming down her face and smudged lipgloss, looking like a total wreck. At the sight of him, she instantly frowned, burrowing her face into her knees. She sniffled for a little bit, then whispered. "Must be a funny sight for you, huh? Northsider finally breaking down? Look, if you came here to make fun of me—"

"I didn't." Sweet Pea quickly responded, setting himself down to sit next to her. She angrily scooted to the right.

"Then why are you here?" She asked, a slight tinge of curiosity wavering in her voice. Her voice was gravelly and low. Sweet Pea concluded that she must have been there for a while. Debbie, stubbornly, kept her face hidden by her knees, though her crying ceased. He could see a faint scar on the side of her neck from when he saved her, and another one he didn't quite recognize.