SEVENTEEN

chapter seventeen | new endings
"seriously, what the hell?"

chapter seventeen | new endings"seriously, what the hell?"

The first time Reggie and Debbie meet again, it's akward. After a year of avoiding each other and constantly making excuses to escape the same room when they were in proximity, it was to be expected. Still, there's an ease in her steps and it feels like her life is going back to a routine, one without murders, shocking letters, and an abnormally tall Serpent with trouble in his eyes and mischief in the way he carried himself. She keeps seeing Reggie after that and hopes that things go back to normal.

An addition to her routine is Chic. The morning after the events that ensued, it's awkward as well. She can't bring herself to look at her family now. Hal is questioning and wants answers, while Alice protects and defends Chic like a mother should. Debbie wonders if this was the scenario that occured when she arrived on their doorstep with little mementos tucked under her arm and tears quickly streaming down her face. She learns that Betty digs her nails into her palms, and that was when she leaves and enters Reggie's car to go to school. It bothers her that he parks directly next to the motorcycles, but not for the reasons  anyone would have guessed. Debbie spares a longing glance at the Serpents ascending down the staircase and hesitantly takes Reggie's hand.

It's funny how Debbie never realized the impact of words until she saw the orange envelope's contents, and suddenly she no longer wanted to write a single word.

"Debs?" Reggie calls out to her, and she snaps out of her thoughts and sends him a small smile. "Are you nervous?"

It's only been a week since she called him that one, fateful night, but things escalated quickly and now, they were walking hand in hand and smiling like "the total power couple" they were at freshmen who gawked at them. They were officially official. Again. It was for the best. She repeated that to herself over and over as they kept walking through the hallways of Riverdale High, trying to ignore the dirty looks of the Serpents, especially one in particular. On their way to her next class, she spared a glance to her friends, and swallowed down the bile forming in her throat. "Yeah. Totally fine."

Reggie, charming as always, grinned and kissed her goodbye, which took her aback. "Bye."

She was about to walk into her class, when someone grabbed her arm, a flurry of motions and papers quickly motioning her to follow whoever had pulled her with them. Debbie was then pushed into a janitor's closet, it seemed, and it took her a second to realize it was Kevin.

These days, Kevin was the only other person she could talk to. She couldn't bear to look at Betty. Veronica and Archie were busy. Jughead had problems of his own, and it would crush her if she added more to that. And Sweet Pea was unapproachable, ever since he saw her holding hands with someone who despised the Serpents. The look in his eyes made it clear how he felt and she no longer received texts or goofy selfies in the middle of Geometry. It made her sad, in a way she didn't understand, as if she lost something again.