3. Stages Of Life

"So I swear by the afterglow of sunset; And by the night and whatever it gathers in its darkness. And by the moon when it is full, you shall certainly travel from stage to stage (in this life and the hereafter)."

[ Al Inshiqaq : 16 - 19 ]

🗞🗞🗞🗞🗞

Ibrahim could feel his lips curve into an effortless smile as he watched Tanvir's failed attempt at trying to wish his family and walk out of the house.

His niece though however little she might be had seemed to picked on that her father was leaving for she was making sad eyes at him compelling him to take her along with him. The look on the little angel's face was priceless, it was one that could melt even a heart of stone. Ibrahim knew for sure that Tanvir would melt after seeing it. It was but a matter of time until Tanvir gave in to her demands. Five months and the girl already had them all wrapped around her fingers.

His eyes flickered between the little one and her father, silently observing what conspired between them. Sure enough Tanvir hesitated at entrance. His hand on the door knob, he turned around to face his wife and kid. A look of helplessness washed over his face. It was clear that he didn't want to leave his daughter, not when she was making those eyes.

Eshaal laughed, shifting her daughter in her arms. "She is such an actress. Go. I'd take care."

Hesitantly consenting to what she said, Tanvir smiled swooping down to peck his daughter on her cheeks and turned around clapping Ibrahim on his back. "We'd leave now before I change my mind. Come on."

Ibrahim gave him a short nod before taking a few steps forward and kissing his niece who at once switched her target and started making eyes at him instead of her dad. "Aeewhsshh." Little fingers probed at Ibrahim's beard. "Aeshshehsskllaasshh." Cocking her head to a side she lifted her arms in the air giving him a full blown smile. They all laughed. She knew the effect she had on them.

Something pinched at Ibrahim's heart. He couldn't find it in him to move away. Taking her chubby hands in his, he kissed them loving how she cackled when he did that. "How do you manage to ignore this bundle of cuteness man?"

Tanvir laughed. "We are used to her antics. She does that almost every other day."

Ibrahim kissed her cheeks again when his eyes fell upon his watch. He straightened up with reluctance. "Khair baby. Your uncle and dad have to leave now. We'd be back soon. Be a good girl for mama now. And you", he fixed his eyes on Eshaal. "Don't be too hard on my little girl. She has to be well fed and in a good mood when I come back."

Eshaal rolled her eyes at her brother. That was something only Ibrahim could say. "Yes boss, now leave. If you both continue behaving like old ladies and not walk out of the house this instant, I'm not responsible for any action of mine."

Ibrahim hummed eyeing Tanvir. "I don't know how you manage her either."

Tanvir shrugged. "You people gave me no warning while handing her over to me. What else option do I have now other than managing with her? It's too late for a replacement, don't you think?"

Eshaal shot him a glare. "Yes, yes. You have a difficult time with me, so difficult that you are not going to be able to enter the house tonight."

Tanvir started to say something but his wife cut him off. "Now go please. My pain has returned. I can't stand for long."

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry. Are you sure you don't want me to stay back? I can look after Taskeen. You can take rest."

Eshaal's eyes softened. "You've been working hard for this day. I can't be selfish and stop you from going there. I took my medicines, I can manage Insha'Allah. It's going to take more than vitamin deficiencies to get me down. You know there's nothing to be worried about."