CHAPTER 13

Sean sat still, just staring at the window right in front of him, that was painted in black.

The only noise that he could hear was the constant clicking and tapping of the mouse and keyboard of the ISS teacher's computer.

That all changed once he saw the boy who sat next to him, lean back and peek at him.

Sean turned to face him slowly. The boy gave him the peace sign, and then turned back around to face his desk. He then started playing with a pencil that everyone was convinced, he broke in half with his own teeth.

Sean turned back around to look at the window again. After a minute or so, the boy spat something on him.
It felt as if it were a spitball in Sean's perception.
He looked at his desk to see a piece of chewed eraser.

However, the boy gave him the gesture of, "I don't bite."

Sean took his cool and then flicked the eraser on to the floor.

"Wassup?" The boy said. He held out his hand for Sean to shake, but Sean refused.

"What'd you think this is...?"

"So, we cool or nah?" The boy asked with seriousness in his voice.

The boy's reaction highlighted Sean's rudeness.

"We cool." Sean replied, holding his hand out to get back that handshake that he refused earlier.

"Aye! No talking!!" Mr. Kendall- the ISS teacher, shouted.

"He now just realized that we were talking..." The boy mumbled under his breath, laughing to himself.

"Excuse me?! Didn't I tell everyone to shut up?!!"

That was when everyone went silent until it was lunch time.

That very same boy followed Sean out of ISS- all the way out into the breezeway that separated the back of the school from the softball field.

"Excuse you?" Sean jumped when the boy crashed into him.

"Dude, my bad! Shoo, I'm just tryna find a place to hang, you know what I'm sayin'?"

"I guess."

Sean started to walk around the breezeway area, but once he figured that the boy was still following him, he stopped and sat down.
Yet, the boy did the same too.

"So, what's your name?" Sean asked, trying to get rid of the weirdness between the two of them.

"Denis John. You?"

"Sean Sawyer."

"I like the Shssss there." Denis laughed to himself. "But my initials are DJ. Aye! What's up, though?"

Sean was unfamiliar with the way that he acted, but pushed past it anyways.

"Just taking it easy..."

"How'd you even get into ISS if you're just taking it easy?"

Sean wasn't expecting that question at all.
"That's a good question...-"

"It is!"

Playing with the grass beneath his feet, he replied saying, "I'm over here to just... you know. Learnggv the meaning of my life."

Denis shrugged. He took ahold of a small pebble and then tossed it down the hill. it rolled into the field and then stopped behind a dogwood tree.

"Are you serious? A teacher really put you in ISS to think about your life?" He asked with a late reaction.

"It's worth it." Sean admitted. "I mean, I can at least get away from all of these fools in my class." He shrugged his shoulders and then looked up to the sky.

"Well, I mean... it sounds good to be away from others too. See, I myself hate being around people, but I'm not really anti social. I just love picking on them- except, I'm not supposed to. Well actually I can if I want to, but if my parents knew, they would spank me until the sun goes down. So-"

As Denis was babbling, Sean asked himself "Did I ask...?"
Apparently, Denis overheard his question and decided to answer it.

"Well, whether you asked or not, it's a very important topic to discuss." He explained. "It's always good to know who we truly are! And not follow some god or anyone else, telling you how to live..."

Sean raised both of his eyebrows and looked over at him with confusion.
"So, are you saying that a god is useless to have in your life?"

"I'm not downsizing any god that a human being may believe in." He admitted. "All I'm saying is believing in a god is like dragging your true self behind, and putting on a facade of holiness. I mean, I was a Christian myself."

"Right..." Sean answered with uneasiness.

"To me, being an actual Christian is basically you fighting with the Devil all day long... It's no use because no one can possibly defeat evil."

"Well, maybe you keep exposing yourself to it so much, and maybe that's why it seems like it's so hard to defeat." Sean admitted. "Didn't God say something like- the battle isn't yours- or something like- be still and know that I am God?"

Denis sucked his teeth in irritation. "It's easy to read, but hard to believe, buddy. I suggest we live life and live it to the fullest. This is one of the reasons why I'm in ISS...-"

"For living life to the fullest?"

"No- dummy! For being too bored in class. I drew a picture of a rose on a a piece of paper, folded it into an airplane, and then threw it across the classroom to this random girl. There was nothing good to do, anyways. Besides, that's just who Denis is. A natural comedian and a huge troublemaker..."

Sean shrugged his shoulders and had no words to say. "Sounds like you're wasting your life into trouble. You feel me?"

"I lived the Christian life before. There is nothing good about it. Sometimes, you just have to believe that you're you and that there is really no actual meaning of life." He confessed.

Sean didn't know on whether to be convinced by what he said, or to continue focusing on living his life after God.

"I dunno, Denis." Sean started. "I'm more so at a new beginning right now, and I want to be the light to those who are hopeless."

Denis snickered to himself and then patted Sean's shoulder.
"Alrighty, bud. Don't ever say that I never warned you. I hope you see me again after you try being a good and perfect Christian!"

And with that, the bell had rung for the last block of the day, but the two headed back to ISS and stayed there until dismissal.