CHAPTER 24

The following Monday after first block was over, Mr. Grey walked towards Sean's desk as he was about to get out of his seat, and head off to second block.

"Things are looking up for the both of us, don't you think?"

Sean smiled nervously at his teacher. He was about ready to go to his second block class after spending a whole hour on trying to solve math problems that seemed so impossible for him to solve, no matter the lessons and notes that he took.
Mr. Grey knelt before Sean's desk, and rested both of his elbows on it.

"You graded my paper, hadn't you...?" Sean leaned to the side, looked at his teacher with a nervous smile, and a heart believing that he had bombed the test, once again.

"Knock it off, silly!" His teacher laughed. "I as a teacher, could care less about determining who a student is by their test scores. Just because you're an all A student, does not mean that you're the best. And just because you have all F's, C's, D's- or a mixture of all three, does not make you stupid, either."

Sean nodded his head slowly at that.
"Then if test scores isn't what you're truly concerned about, then what is?"

Mr. Grey looked up at the ceiling and then turned back to Sean, and gave him a look of hope. "You know, Sean? I may see you and everyone else, walk into this classroom every morning. And, just because I only teach you all, know your name through the attendance, and grade your papers, does not mean that it stops just right there. Sometimes, you just have to look through the heart because your eyes can only see what's in front of you."

He looked up from playing with his fingertips, and smiled at his teacher. "What did you see in me this time around, Mr. Grey? I made sure that I wasn't late-"

"I know you did!" His teacher laughed aloud with glee. "And that's what makes me happy! Your determination to do the right thing, even if it's so hard to do!"
Mr. Grey then got up from his kneeling position in front of Sean's desk, and looked at the watch on his right wrist.

"I know that your next class is coming in..." Sean started, as he slowly got up from his desk and gathered both his binder and textbook. "Though I had to take it the hard way to get into in school suspension, I did learn to humble myself and let God intercede."

"You're like my own son." Mr. Grey commented, sitting at his desk, and giving Sean a wide smile. "Always learning from his father and from the most high."

Sean giggled and smiled to himself on his way out of the classroom.

***

Sean was headed off to the breezeway where he and Denis had first sat at on their first day meeting each other in ISS, during lunch.

He was hoping to see Denis again, since he was the only person who was considered to being a friend to him.
However, on his way there, he saw someone else sitting in their spot.

He was totally shocked to see that very someone, wearing a sweater and jeans on such a hot spring day.
Not knowing that he was actually just standing there and glaring at whomever it was, the guy looked up at him and asked, "I'm sorry, but may I help you? Sean....?"
The guy took his hoodie off, and brushed his jet black hair down with his hands.

Sean looked at him, and said, "Quinn... may I help you?"
He leaned against the building that stood behind him, about five feet away from Quinn, knowing that they weren't even friends like that anymore, to be able to sit next to each other.

"Nah... not really..." Quinn replied with shame. "I don't know why you came back here in the first place."

"It's okay. I was just looking for someone."

Quinn looked down at the grass before him, and started to play with a little stick, and doodled in the dirt. He then replied with a silent,"oh."

After a moment of silence, Sean spoke up again. "So... it looks weird not seeing you with Rita and company."

Quinn giggled at that and looked up at him. "That wasn't me."

"I know it wasn't." Sean replied to him.

"Rita and I were messing around with each other too much, until my true colors showed." Quinn looked down at the grass, and placed the small stick that he was playing with, down. "I had this type of conviction telling me to break free from her because she was a harm to both my life and my body. The other guys thought that I was being fake like you were. So, Jay has her now. I screwed up real bad..."

Sean looked up at him and smiled. "No you didn't. You didn't even need her. But, there is someone out there who longs for you, and you left him for such a long time."

Quinn chuckled, knowing that it was God. "Hey, I know about your sister, and I'm sorry for not attending the funeral yesterday. My parents had a talk with my brother and I, instead."

"I'm sure you needed it as much as I needed some time in ISS."

The two laughed, and gave one another a handshake.

"I'm hoping to hang out with you after I get my grades up before the end of this school year. And maybe one day, we can go and visit your sister's grave." Quinn admitted. "As of right now, my parents need me to get my grades up to prove to them that I am free of unnecessary distractions."

"Hey, and don't forget to let God in with your relationship with others. It covers up a multitude of your past wrongdoings."

"I will."

And with that, the two took opposite directions after the lunch bell had finally rang for the day.

***

Not being able to see Denis that very day, wasn't too much of a problem for Sean. He was very glad to be able to talk to him about the truth a couple of days ago, and was hoping that he had gotten something from what he had said.
What really concerned Sean at the very moment, was to go and see his sister again.

So, after he had finally gotten home, he slipped out a piece of notebook paper and a pencil out of his book bag, and then tossed his book bag to the corner of his room.
With that, he walked over to the backyard and sat at the picnic table.

He was pleased with the warm breeze that brushed against his skin. The sight of yellow, black, and tangerine colored butterflies, also made him even more pleased.

He sighed and then took ahold of his pencil. He then began to write on his notebook paper.

Dear Amy,
My wonderful and meaningful sister. Your presence meant a lot to me. I learned how to humble myself and give God- my all.
I have nothing, but the Lord. I feel better than last time when I dragged behind me- a lot of backstabbers.
Hope you're having a lot of fun with Jesus! 😃Tell him that I said hi and am willing to come home when it's my time to die, or when he comes back- whichever one comes first!

-Sign, Sean Sawyer 🦋 ☀️

After writing the letter, Sean folded it and placed it into his jean pocket. He took ahold of his bike, unlatched the gate, and started riding it towards the front door of the house where his parents were doing some spring cleaning.

"I promise I'll come back home before dinner time!" He assured to them.

"Okay! I don't want you missing out on tonight's macaroni and steak slices!" His mother called out as she waved goodbye to him. She stood there and smiled as she watched her son speed down the sidewalk on his bicycle.