Part 1

Some people may think that the life of a girl who was born into a family of wealth would be perfect. She would grow up with a silver spoon encrusted with rubies in her mouth. She could buy all the pretty ponies and expensive jewelry she could find. And most importantly her entire future would be set in place. She would live the rest of her years without the slightest worry. She'd never worry about car payments or her next paycheck. She could simply call up her daddy and all her problems would fly out the window. It would be all sunshine and rainbows.

Or at least that's how it was supposed to all happen.

I, Harper Silviano was the first born child of Anthony and Zoe Silviano. Not only was I born into great wealth I was also born into an Italian family who just so happened to be involved in the underground mob business. While my family wasn't considered the largest and noblest of sorts, my father was respected. He was a naturally serious fellow with the signature slicked back black hair and thick Italian accent that most mobsters had. Anthony Silviano never put up with any sort of nonsense and was known for being the man who closed up deals. He occasionally would even cut out a loose end every now and then if you know what I mean.

My mother was a lovely woman from what I can remember. She had beautiful mahogany skin and amber colored eyes that I inherited. I can only recall bits and pieces of her in my memory and the majority of those memories were warm hearted and happy. I can remember the day she taught me to ride a bike and even when we would go out on Sundays after church for pizza with my siblings. I had two brothers as a matter of fact. They use to help me build leaf piles in the backyard and in the summer we would spend endless hours in the pool together.

However, even with all these happy experiences, I will never forget when they all came to an end. I had been 10 years old when they found out. It had actually been the same time that I had found out as well. One day I woke up in my bed with a peculiar itch around my upper back. It was a strange little itchy feeling that I couldn't quite reach. I had walked into my marble floored and countered bathroom to try and maybe but some cortisone cream around the area. Yet the moment I saw myself in the mirror I almost screamed. From a side view you could see these bizarre feathered nubs protruding from the upper area of my back. It was like something was literally growing out of my back.

At first I figured it must have been some sort of morbid dream. But no matter how many times I pinched myself, I never woke up. I quickly went to lock the door as my mind raced at 500 miles and hour. My juvenile mind decided that maybe I could cut of the feathers and unusual set of nubs. I automatically went for the small pair scissors buried within my drawers but it became quickly apparent that they couldn't even cut or hardly reach the feathers that seemed to be slowly growing further outwards. Then I decided to try and use the tool box underneath my sink that had been there for a little over a year after water pipes had begun leaking. It was a pale yellow box that was half buried under toilet paper.

There had been numerous tools within that little yellow box but of utmost importance and usefulness was the large set of steel players. I can vividly remember tearing out the first greyish black feather that was surprisingly made out of some manner of metal. The immense wave of pain almost made me pass out. That little feather fell to the floor with a sharp ping as small little tears seeped from the corners of my amber colored eyes. It was incredibly difficult work and not to mention it was agonisingly painful.

I began to fear that I was one of them. One of those oddly mutated human beings that I sometimes saw on the news. I can recall seeing reruns on the news of the blue woman with red hair from that whole ordeal in 1973. She tried to kill the president or something. They called those freaky humans 'mutants'. They were morally regarded as taboo topic. My mother once even referenced then as being some sort of alien species .