11: Quiditch

Italics is Japanese

As we entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy gray and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous bearskin boots. The Quidditch season had begun! On Saturday, I would be playing in my first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor vs Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, we would move up into second place in the House Championship.

Hardly anyone has seen me play because Wood had decided that, as their secret weapon, I should be kept secret or something along those lines. They never talk to me about that.

But the news that I was playing Seeker had leaked out somehow and I have no idea which is worse, people telling me I'd be brilliant or people telling me they'd run around underneath me holding a mattress.

It was really lucky that I now had Hermione as a friend. Of course, most of the time she's with Harry and Ron but she still helps me and Emi study when we don't understand Maki trying to help. She even lent me Quidditch Through the Ages, which was really fun to read. I also learned that some ghouls were, in fact, great Quidditch players.

Hermione and Maki had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since we had saved her from the troll and she was much nicer to us for it. The day before my first Quidditch the six of us were out in the freezing courtyard during break and Hermione and Maki had conjured up a big bright blue fire that could be carried around in a pickle jar. We were standing with our backs to it, getting warm, when father crossed the yard. I noticed at once that he was limping. We moved closer together to block the fire from view because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about us caught Father's eye. He limped over, I don't think he saw the fire yet but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell Harry's trio off anyway. "What's that you've got there, Potter?" He held up Quidditch Through the Ages, he wanted to read it so I lent it to him. "Library books are not to be taken outside the school. Give it to me. 5 points from Gryffindor." Harry muttered angrily as Father limped away, not even looking at me. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" Emi questioned looking to me then to Ron. "Dunno." "I hope it's really hurting him." He growled bitterly, I punched him lightly, "Watch it, Weasly. That's my father you're talking about."

The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Me, Emi, and Maki sat together next to a window. Maki was checking our Charms homework for us. He would never let us copy but by asking him to read it through, we got the right answers anyway. I felt slightly restless. I needed Quidditch Through the Ages back, I haven't finished it and to take my mind off my nerves for tomorrow. Getting up, I took Harry's hand and helped him up, I told Emi and Maki we were going to ask father if Harry could have it back. "Better you than me," they all said together. I chuckle, letting go of Harry's hand.

We made our way down to the staff room and knocked. No answer, Harry knocked again, nothing. "Perhaps fa-er-Snape left the book in there?" He shrugged, "It's worth a try." He pushed the door ajar and we both peered inside. It was a horrible sight, father and Filch were inside, alone. Father was holding his robes above his knees, one of his legs bloody and mangled and Filch was handing him bandages. "Blasted thing," father snarled. "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?" Harry tries to shut the door quietly, but- "POTTER!" Father's face was twisted with fury as he dropped his robes quickly to hide his leg, I heard Harry gulp. "We were wondering if we could have our book back." I managed to mumble out but father was not having it, "GET OUT! OUT!" Harry and I scrambled over each other and I slammed the door behind me. I toppled into Emi's lap once I reached the common room way before Harry.