Misery

Mahiru stared at the ground as the gauze around his mouth is being taken off so he could eat. The stitches on his cheeks hurt but he had been told to be careful and not to move his mouth too much in case the stitches break. He wasn't allowed to eat any solid food so he would have to eat soup or anything that is a liquid. He wasn't allowed to talk much either much to his frustration. He listened to his friends speak and wrote his responses down on a whiteboard.

Kuro helped him eat and the things he noticed about his eyes, it wasn't something he liked. The happy eyes were replaced with miserable emotion. He hated seeing such an expression on the teen. He wanted to hurt Belkia for what he had done. Why would he even do such a thing? Did Tsubaki have anything behind it? How could he even harm such a kind hearted and caring person?

You want to know why? Because of you. It was the demon that resides in him. It spoke about how he was at fault for having dragged the boy into such a war. He could've avoided it all if he had just had let the magician kill him that first day, or even forced the teen away.

He held the bowl and helped him eat even though he received a glare that practically said Mahiru could do it himself. He sighed and let him after receiving the glare a bit longer. He hoped to help Mahiru and basically hoped that the scars wouldn't be permanent. Keeping the thought in mind, he knew who was responsible and would make them pay for hurting Mahiru to such an extent.

He hadn't noticed when Mahiru was trying to get his attention until he felt his shoulder being shook. Mahiru pointed to the bowl of leftover soup then at him in silent question of him wanting it. "You don't want anymore?" A shake of the head. Kuro took the bowl and finished the soup, setting the empty bowl on the table and waiting for the doctor to come back in and rewrap the wounds. He never knew how much he actually enjoyed seeing a smile on Mahiru's face until this tragedy occurred. When he looked at the slashes across his cheeks, he thought of the Slit Mouth Woman, completely glad that Mahiru wouldn't go around asking if people that he was handsome then killing them when they said no.

Of course, they could do that and terrify some of the Melancholy group but it was probably not the time to bring that up.

Mahiru was miserable. He spoke to drown out the negativity in his head, but because of all this, he was basically drowning in his own misery. Any and all negative thoughts, memories, they plagued his mind. He tried to push them away but it was hard. He wanted Kuro to speak, to distract him. He heard nothing. Where were the others when he needed them, their loud voices and somewhat upbeat attitudes-he missed them.