Chapter Three

"What do you think he'll do when he finds out it's a girl?" A voice rang through my ears, and I winced at the sudden noise.

Shifting, my eyes slowly fluttered open, and I immediately flinched at the bright beams of candlelight that flickered from a hanging lantern. I brought my hand up to my eyelids, the pads of my fingers rubbing away the blurriness, causing the small room I was in to melt into focus.

My elbow sunk into the soft cotton cot as I propped myself up, causing a few flecks of darkness to dance into my vision. My muscles tensed as I glanced around the unfamiliar room. The small walls were crafted out of bamboo, matching the floor. A wooden chest sat alongside the cot I was sitting on top, a few stray fabrics hanging out of the closed lid.

"Who knows," Another voice replied, "a girl hasn't stepped foot on Neverland in years."

Flicking my gaze over my shoulder, I noticed an open door on the wall just ahead of me were two young boys stood just outside the small hut. They looked to be of equal height, with matching sandy blond hair. I quirked an eyebrow at their two identical faces, wondering for a brief moment if I was had been seeing things.

"What is this place?" I asked, pushing past the dryness in my throat.

The twin on the left jumped at my voice, his slim figure stumbling into the wooden door. "You're awake!" He exclaimed,

Ignoring his nervous stare, I managed to stand up on the uneven floor, gripping the post of the bed for support when the dots flashed across my vision yet again. I tried to recall what had happened, straining my mind to remember any little detail after we had landed on the beach, but it only seemed to cause a massive headache.

"Easy -" The other one cautioned, taking a wary step towards me. "You've been unconscious for quite a while,"

"Don't come any closer," I stuck my hand out in warning, not keen on being in close company with two strangers. "Who are you?"

The one closest had opened his mouth to answer, when his brother replied instead, fumbling over his words. "We're - we're lost boys."

I sucked in a breath. Lost boys?

Suddenly, countless images of the night before flashed in my mind, the bright flames of the fire, the repulsive feel of Pierce's lips on mine, the dark figures, the sweet intoxicating perfume that lurked on the cloth that was held against my nose before falling unconscious.

I scanned their young faces, noticing the one closest to the door sported a freckle beside the corner of his mouth. Their features didn't seem vicious nor violent, but even beneath the calmest of oceans can conceal a deadly current.

"Kian, Pan warned us not to tell her that!" The one nearest to me scowled, shoving the shoulder of his brother.

A shiver shot up my spine as my knuckles paled gripping the post of the cot. Peter Pan, of course these lost boys wouldn't be far from him. Swallowing, I pushed down the bile that rose from the mere thought of that monster. I had to find my way to my father.

My eyes flicked past the pair of twins to the opened door that had led outside where a cool night breeze swept through. I sized up the two, noting their scrawny figures and long limbs. Before either of them could say anything, I darted towards the door, my shoulders colliding into theirs as I pushed by, catching the brothers off guard.

I expected my boots to dig into soft soil, but instead, I found myself on more wooden planks, my body slamming into a railing of rope. My fingers gripped around the rope as my head shot forwards, my eyes widening as I glanced down at the ground, where roughly a hundred feet of air separated me from the jungle ground.