Chapter Five

Air filled my lungs, I inhaled and exhaled in deep gusts as I ran, my boots sinking into the soft earth with every step.

I could hear shouts behind me, but I kept my eyes straight ahead for fear that I'd run into a tree. I did my best to keep up my pace, but it was difficult with my hands bound by rope. I passed numerous trees, all with trunks as wide as little cottages and I wondered how Neverland grew this large jungle. My legs pumped under me as I leaped over rocks and small shrubs, dodging trees that were in my way.

A feeling of freedom washed over me as I ran and I smiled to myself. Now I just need to find the ocean.

My heart was pounding with every step and my chest rose with the deep breaths that coursed through my lungs.

I grinned at the thought of telling my Father about Pan, how I knew where their hideout was, and how I escaped their grasp almost effortlessly. I could already see the pride in his eyes.

I ran with the sweet thoughts of revenge on my mind for a while, before my legs began to ache at the constant movement. I thought I saw a clearing up ahead when I was suddenly forced to the ground, the impact of the earth and the person on top of me nearly knocked my breath away as I tried to push my attacker off.

"Gotcha," Sawyer smirked as he straddled my torso, dodging my hands as I tried to slap him away.

"Get off of me!" I yelled as I squirmed under his weight,

"Did you really think you could escape so easily?" He tilted his head to the side as he let out a low chuckle.

"Let me go!" I demanded,

He chuckled, as if finding me amusing. "You're in no position to be making demands." He replied before grabbing a fist full of my shirt collar, yanking me up with him as he stood. "In fact, I could probably kill you right here, say you escaped, and no one would even notice." He smirked as he processed the idea, seeming to like it more with every breath he took.

I inhaled sharply.

"But, unfortunately, Pan want's you alive." He said, disappointed as he dismissed his thoughts and released my shirt from his grasp. He opened his mouth again as if wanting to say something else when a bird flying behind him caught his attention.

He turned around, carelessly exposing his back to me as he observed the trees. Without thinking, I took the opportunity and raised my leg, bringing it down hard on the back of his bad knee.

He yelped as he collapsed to the dirt. "You bitc-"

I immediately took off, not waiting around to hear what he had to say. My legs burned from the excessive running, but I pushed past the ache as I dodged between the trees. It wasn't long before I heard his staggering footsteps behind me, but I knew I could outrun him now.

I swerved passed many trees, hoping to lose him in the jungle. After a few moments, I turned my head to glance back at him, but I couldn't see him through the fog. I turned my focus ahead again, but it was too late.

My eyes landed on a large tree root, but before I could react, my foot caught on the root and I immediately stumbled to the ground.

My fingers dug into the cold dirt and I groaned as I turned on my side, grimacing as I tried to move my foot, the movement sending a sharp pain up my leg.

No, no, no.

I ran my hands over my ankle to feel if it was broken. I let out a sigh of relief when I realized it wasn't. I knew I must have sprained it, and if I was struggling running with my hands tied, a hurt ankle was only going to make matters worse.