Chapter Eight

"C'mon, move it!" Felix grumbled, his hand colliding with my back to push me forward.

The heavy raindrops continued to pour down on the jungle as we trudged through it, the constant sheets of rain covering anything in sight in a wet blanket. The tall jungle trees gave away to the hard rain, their leaves bending away to let the water droplets crash down below them. The lack of sun had cast an eerie glow, seeming to swallow the once vibrant and colorful flowers and plants.

I snapped my head around, my hair hanging in wet clumps against my neck, a few stubborn strands sticking to my cheeks. Ignoring the raindrops that flicked on to my eyelashes, I shot him a fierce glare, my blue eyes narrowed at his dark ones. I continued my pace despite Felix's shoves, my brown trousers adhered to my legs as the rain had long since saturated due to constant rainfall.

Lightning struck above as my boots fumbled in the mud, sticking in the sludge every few steps. I spotted Kian as he grabbed a large palm leaf off its tree, holding the feathered palm above his head, desperate for cover against the cold water. Sawyer was a few paces ahead of me. His dark blond hair had escaped from his band at the nip of his neck, water dripping off the end of the strands as they stuck to his forehead.

"Damnit," He cursed as the dirt under his boot gave away, his good leg splashing into a muddied puddle. I let a smug grin form on my lips while I watched him frustratedly shake the mud off his boot. "That's it, he's gone bloody insane ever since she stepped foot on this island." He gritted out, jutting his chin out towards my direction.

"Watch it, Sawyer," Felix warned. "He knows what he's doing."

He scoffed, wiping away a raindrop that had landed on his brow. "Please. He hasn't had a rational thought since she died."

Lighting struck somewhere in the sky as I furrowed my eyebrows together, wondering what he had meant.

"Is that what you think?"

Sawyer's eyes shot forward, his muscles under his shirt tensing up as Pan's voice cut through the pounding rainfall. Pan stood ahead of us, his face unflinching as drops of rain landed on his light-complexioned face. The darkness of the clouds reflected in his eyes as they bore into Sawyer's.

"Pan," Sawyer inhaled sharply, the mud under him shifting as he took a step back. "I - of course not, I was just -"

"Questioning my authority," He stated plainly, stepping closer to Sawyer, whose face had taken an ashen shade. "It seems you've forgotten your place." He stepped forward. "Or perhaps you've forgotten what happened last time you questioned my authority?" His eyes flicked over Sawyer's left cheekbone where a short, jagged scar was etched into his dry skin; the pale flesh contrasted against his tan face.

"No, it won't happen again- I swear it." He fumbled over his cracked lips,

Pan eyed him skeptically before he glanced sideways at me. "As for you," He began, a raindrop gliding down from his eyebrow. "You're staying upfront with me."

His hand wrapped around my upper arm, the pads of his fingers brushing against the raindrops that had landed on my skin. "Get your filthy hand off of me," I spat, shrugging his hand off my arm as he led me ahead, stepping over a puddle of water that had gathered. The sudden feeling of anger washed over me once I glanced over at his amused face.

Jutting my chin out in annoyance, I trudged past him, my boots fumbling over the mud-covered dirt. Squinting through the pelting raindrops, I could just barely make out the silhouettes of the abnormally tall jungle trees in the vast distance, a few water drops splashing onto my eyelashes.

Water gushed from a small river close by, the raindrops melting into the water as it splashed onto the smooth stones nearby. Tall reeds stretched high, following the river as it twisted out of sight, their brown tips bouncing from the constant rainfall. I almost hadn't heard the soft snapping of a twig amongst the tall evergreen bushes.