Chapter Four

I shifted, causing the bark of the large tree to dig into my shoulder blades. They had tied a thick rope around my waist, connecting my torso to a wide jungle tree that stood in the middle of a wide span of wooden planks, creating a massive platform.

Rolling my shoulders in hopes to stretch them, I let out a huff of frustration, my boots slumping on to the wood.

If I had just stayed in the tent with my father, helped him map out the course, or perhaps stayed with the crew alongside the fire on the beach, I would have never been in this situation. Cheers and whistles pierced through the air, and I craned my neck to see a group of lost boys dancing around a small fire, their loose shirt bouncing as they celebrated.

How could I have been so stupid?

My father would have never been captured by a band of teenage boys.

Licking my dried lips, I closed my eyes, leaning my head against the rough bark of the tree.

I felt a tug of the ropes that were tightly bound around my waist before it completely vanished. Snapping my eyes opened, I noticed one of the brothers had cut away the rope that had connected me to the tree. I rubbed my wrists together, hoping he would slice away the one at my hands, but I watched as he secured the dagger back on his belt.

"Let's go," Said a taller boy with dark blond hair, and I recognized him from earlier as the one who had taken me and brought me into this whole mess.

"Let go of me," I grumbled as he gripped my elbow and yanked me forward, pushing me across one of the countless wooden bridges.

"Be quiet," He replied in an agitated tone, his eyes fixed on the path ahead as we walked. The moon's dim light lit up the surrounding trees, their branches casting a looming shadow over the passing huts. The thudding sound of our boots against the wooden planks echoed in the night, with the occasional rhythm of crickets from below.

"Where are you taking me?"

"I said to be quiet," He hissed, and I bit the inside of my cheek as he crunched his fingers around my elbow.

It was then that I recognized the tall bamboo that made up of the large hut I had been to not hours before. I felt the warmth of the torches as we approached, their lights flickering off the tall doors. With a push of his other hand, one of the doors opened, revealing a large circular room inside.

A wide jungle tree grew in the middle of the room, a winding staircase following it up to the second floor. A towering glass container hung on the wall, it's wooden shelves supporting countless glass bottles of various sizes and colors, the doors secured with a bronze lock. On the top of the shelf sat a curved bottle with a midnight hued liquid inside topped with a dark cork.

In front of the trunk of the tree stood a wide desk, and as we neared I could make out small delicate carvings in the wood. Across the polished top were dozens of various maps scattered all around with ink and pen on the corner. Small, elaborate daggers pinned some of the maps in place, seeming to mark out certain locations.

The green-eyed stranger stood hovering over the desk, his auburn hair falling across his forehead as he studied a map he held in his hand. "What is it, Felix?" He questioned, although his gaze never wavered from the paper.

"I brought the prisoner, as you wanted," Felix replied, extending his arm as he shoved me forward, and I snapped my head around to shoot him a glare.

"Ah, yes." He said, and I returned my gaze towards the desk as he shoved the map in his hand into one of the many wooden drawers. My eyes shifted between his, my nerves shooting through the tips of my fingers to the nape of my neck. I didn't trust him at all.